cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Jabber & headset remotely

hoffmann74
Level 1
Level 1

Like everyone else, we have a lot of people working remotely right now. Our people are connecting via VPN and then using remote desktop to work on their work PC. I have some users who have taken their headsets home and are attempting to use them to handle calls. The problem is, obviously their work PC is looking for the headset to be installed on their work PC, rather than their personal PC.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make this work? (Using a locally installed headset with a remote session of Jabber.)

I assume they would need to have Jabber installed on their own PC to actually get it working with the locally installed headset.

1 Accepted Solution

stevenle
Spotlight
Spotlight

We have this working without issue. In the Remote Desktop application on the far end computer, click on the Show Options. Then select the Local Resources tab > Configure Remote Audio Settings > Ensure that Play on this computer and Record from this Computer are selected > then connect. Jabber on the RDP session in their office will recognize the Remote audio. You can further configure within Jabber in Options > Audio. I use it everyday without issue.

My problem is we have very choppy audio when  using this method. Please share your experience when using remote audio while on VPN with an RDP session to the Jabber softphone on the office machine. Can't figure out why audio is very choppy and lots of jitter.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

stevenle
Spotlight
Spotlight

We have this working without issue. In the Remote Desktop application on the far end computer, click on the Show Options. Then select the Local Resources tab > Configure Remote Audio Settings > Ensure that Play on this computer and Record from this Computer are selected > then connect. Jabber on the RDP session in their office will recognize the Remote audio. You can further configure within Jabber in Options > Audio. I use it everyday without issue.

My problem is we have very choppy audio when  using this method. Please share your experience when using remote audio while on VPN with an RDP session to the Jabber softphone on the office machine. Can't figure out why audio is very choppy and lots of jitter.

Thanks. I've been having people install Jabber on their local PC and using either a headset or built-in mic, but I will give this a shot.