cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

updateDeviceProfile, Bug???

dkartio20
Level 1
Level 1

Thought I would throw this out here to see if what I found was "working as planned" or a bug.

When working with the AXL call [AXL 10.5], the updateDeviceProfile has 2 optional ways of sending in a list of lines.  One way is to use the <line> tag and send in all relevant parameters.  The second way of sending in the attached lines is by using the <lineIdentifier> tag, which takes the <directoryNumber> and the <routePartitionName> tags.

If you use the <lineIdentifier> method, the update process sets most line attributes to their default option, and blanks others out (ie: <e164Mask> and <label>.

Should it be blanking out/resetting information like that?  If so, it would be nice if that was documented that way.

6 Replies 6

jocreed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me test this and I will get back with you.

ok,I know I am quick, I saw the same thing.  Let me see if I can get with one of the engineers and see what is up with this behavior.  Seems weird to me as well.

Thanks for the double check, Kristopher.  Thought I was losing it, for awhile there.

Oddly enough, the engineers say that it should work that way.  It is there to set up and configure lines on a device/profile quickly or if you were ok with the defaults.  The way it works while adding lines it removes all the lines and then automatically indexes line's position and add new lines using defaults.  Using the line tag would be a way to customize the line instead of letting call manager pick the defaults for you.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank You,

Jock

What would it have to set if not the Defaults? I consider lineIdentifiers mostly useful for removing stuff, not for adding because it does not give you the ability to set all those values.

Directory Numbers are associated to devices (device profiles being a Derivation of a device with fewer Parameters), by the <line> tag.. just the Thing you cannot use when using <lineIdentifier>. in ccmadmin, if a line already exists and is associated to another device, it will Show you the existing values - so you could end up expecting AXL the same way, but in AXL, what you don't specify will get Default values everywhere. This then opens the door for a Feature improvement: an Option to have the functionality you have in ccmadmin, so you'd specify a <lineIdentifer> to be added, and using a bool Parameter you'd tell if whether it should use the shared line Parameters from other existing Directory number to device associations (shared line behavior). It might be tricky to add that additional Parameter though as there's no room for it in the object Schema.

I am not too sure I understand the question.  I see what you mean about quick removals and maybe a feature improvement.  Just from speaking with the engineers they are working on cleaning up some of this so there should be continued improvement and clean up as we find more issues and inconsistencies. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: