cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

U2F keys in Firefox

aliencam
Level 1
Level 1

When will duo support u2f keys in Firefox? A yubikey has worked in firefox for months using an add-on, and with firefox 57 released a few weeks ago the u2f support is native; it works with many 2fa systems but not yet with duo.

the current message is:
“Your browser does not support U2F token authentication.
Please use a U2F compatible browser.”

i have heard of people using a user-agent switcher to spoof chrome, then supposedly duo will work with u2f keys, but i have not tested this and prefer not to use this regularly.

thanks!

32 Replies 32

notpeter
Level 1
Level 1

Despite 18months ago publishing “we’re happy to announce that we’ll also be supporting Security Keys in Firefox.” (source) it appears Duo still “Requires Chrome to use Security Keys”

Any ETA/update on this?

2X_d_d07791f6895b22632c965de77cfe8c777439bc4a.png

I was just able to use Firefox with my Yubikey moments ago. There is a behavior difference with Firefox in that you need to select the security key from the “Device:” drop-down menu before it will prompt you for the key. I have not investigated to determine if there is a way to automatically prompt in Firefox, but it is at least functional.

-David A.

Hi there, security keys are currently supported on Firefox version 60 or later on Windows or MacOS. If you enrolled your security key in Chrome prior to March 15, 2019, then it is enrolled only as a U2F device, and cannot be used in Firefox until it is also enrolled as a WebAuthn device. This article explains more about this, including how to enroll your security key to work with Firefox.

David is correct in that when you authenticate in Firefox, you must explicitly select your security key from the drop-down list of enrolled factors. You can get around this by setting the security key as your default authentication method. The article mentioned above also includes details about this.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Quick Links