cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we configure P router as RR for iBGP, what will be advantage and disadvantage.

bloomyguy1985
Level 1
Level 1

Can we configure P router as RR for iBGP, what will be advantage and disadvantage.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Personally I like the P-core routers as dumb as it gets –the les number of protocols or features they run the less number of things can go wrong.

Also P-core features/protocols like LDP/RSVP-TE ad OSPF/ISIS are very stable and do not require new IOS codes.

If you are running converged network offering VPN as well as Internet services and your RRs do carry Internet prefixes, then I would recommend using dedicated RR-cluster for reflecting Internet prefixes.

Internet prefixes can be evil, they can carry unforeseen BGP attributes or extremely long AS-PATHs which can cause BGP process to fail or reset bgp session (both of these actually happened in the past on the Internet).

That is the reason why some providers are using separate PEs and RRs for internet services (the core is common for all services), although with “recent” advancements in BGP error handling and attribute filtering BGP sessions and processes should be protected against strange update messages.

Anyways what I’m trying to say si that you might want to have a set of RRs dedicated to a specific function (either due to security/stability or scalability) –and that’s when dedicated RRs (virtual/physical) come in handy.

adam

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::

adam

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

bloomyguy1985
Level 1
Level 1

we have large network , where 2 P router is working as RR as well, now local team is asking , what will be the advantage and disadvantage , if we use same P router as RR. is there any risk.

I have checked , BGP process is not taking much , CPU utilization, even P router utilization is also not going near to threshold.

kindly suggest.

There’s no problem with running BGP or RRs on P routers if they have enough RAM and CPU power.

But nowadays you can just use server with loads of RAM and CPU as RR.

adam

adam

Hello , Thanks for support, Customer want to know some pros and cons (as Now , My 2 Core  P router is working as RR ) . so that he can think on invest.

He just want to know pros and cons

Many Thanks !!!!

Mukesh

Personally I like the P-core routers as dumb as it gets –the les number of protocols or features they run the less number of things can go wrong.

Also P-core features/protocols like LDP/RSVP-TE ad OSPF/ISIS are very stable and do not require new IOS codes.

If you are running converged network offering VPN as well as Internet services and your RRs do carry Internet prefixes, then I would recommend using dedicated RR-cluster for reflecting Internet prefixes.

Internet prefixes can be evil, they can carry unforeseen BGP attributes or extremely long AS-PATHs which can cause BGP process to fail or reset bgp session (both of these actually happened in the past on the Internet).

That is the reason why some providers are using separate PEs and RRs for internet services (the core is common for all services), although with “recent” advancements in BGP error handling and attribute filtering BGP sessions and processes should be protected against strange update messages.

Anyways what I’m trying to say si that you might want to have a set of RRs dedicated to a specific function (either due to security/stability or scalability) –and that’s when dedicated RRs (virtual/physical) come in handy.

adam

netconsultings.com

adam

Many Thanks !!!!

@ Adam Vitkovsky but question , remain same , can you we configure P router as RR or not ? I agree, we can go for separate RR for VPN and Internet.

Many Thanks !!!!

Mukesh

Of course you can, I see no problem with running BGP or RR function on P routers

Please just check if the P routers you would like to use as RRs have enough RAM and CPU power to cope with all the BGP sessions and routes/paths.

adam

netconsultings.com

adam

Hi

Yes, you can implement RR on your P router, one of the advantages to have a P router as RR is avoid to build a full mesh into the iBGP domain, it could be very expensive. Also it will simplify the management of the iBGP routers. 

Hope it is useful  :-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: