Helpful
Replies

Ethernet over MPLS/VPLS

mehrdad
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I would appreciate if you answer my following questions :

- As you know EoMPLS is based on physical port, but how about VPLS?

- Could you tell me minimum router which supports VPLS?

- Any other solutions for transfer ethernet frames over MPLS except VPLS and EoMPLS?

- I think VPLS is better EoMPLS because it supports multipoint to multipoint ,is it true? could you please tell me VPLS advantage and disadvatage?

Regards,

M.Arshad rad

3 Replies 3

bubu
Level 1
Level 1

Ehlo ,

1)EoMPLS is available in port and vlan mode.Since VPLS

is actually using martini encapsulations ( both lasserre and kompella ) it is possible to use raw and tagged modes.

2)IMHO only Cisco router that supports VPLS now is 7600.Additionaly VFI can be only assigned to SVI.

3)Juniper CCC ( RSVP based ) - but obviously you won't use it since it's proprietary ( nevertherless it has nice feature like lsp-stiching ) and IOS couldn't signall it .

4) VPLS is designed to support p-to-mp and therefore

it's more complex.IF you don't need its features you can stick with raw p2p martini , which is relatively simple and widely implemented ( no problem for example to configure it between ios and junos boxes ).

pm

Thank you for your reply.

As you said EoMPLS is available in vlan mode so i can tag my ethernet customers before MPLS cloud then PE router separate them by logical interface based on vlan, does it true?

i want to know about port density in MPLS network so i would appreciate if you explain me about this situation.for instance if i have 50 customers then should i have 50 ports in my MPLS cloud (PE routers) or i can aggrigate them by layer2 802.1Q switchs before PE routers then the PE routers connect to switch by trunk link.

Thank you,

M.Arshad Rad

Ehlo,

Yes , you can create 50 vlans and configure proper xconnect under subinterface.Cisco eompls is treating those vlan-id's on received frames as "service delimiting" thus tag are used to distinguish traffic ( eg circuit id's ).You don't have to install 50 eompls ports in order to terminate 50 diffrent customers.

However i don't have knowldege about maximum eompls port/pw/performance on diffrent Cisco platforms- maybe someone has some info on that topic

regards

Piotr Marecki

Netia S.A