Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS TE Bandwidth

abdul basit
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community members,

I am CCNP R&S and i have some trouble in understanding mpls TE tunnel. My question is if the bandwith is reserved over the tunnel will that bandwidth be usable for other data over that link or not ? e.g. if the reserved bandwidth on the link is configured to be 10Mbps and currently the data for which the tunnel is reserved is only 5Mbps. where will be that remaining 5Mbps ?

Thank you 

Best Regards

Abdul Basit

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello abdulbasitkhan,

The RSVP Bandwidth Reservation is done in control plane only ( not actual bandwidth reservation) so any traffic can utilize the underlying interfaces and compete with the TE tunnel traffic normally.

For your example:

• My question is lets bandwidth is available and the requested bandwidth for the tunnel is 10Mbps but the data that initiated the tunnel is much less than 10Mbps, so here again will the remaining bandwidth can't be reused by other data over the link as RSVP reserved it ?

Yes, the other data can normally use the remaining Mbps and competes with the TE tunnel data

I hope that i answered your question

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Abdul,

If the control plane (RSVP) reserves 5 Mbps, it still can be used by other traffic. It is basically a way to understand if the path is capable of handling the traffic expected on this tunnel. Otherwise, the transit node dataplane does not by default control the traffic over the tunnel/link. It ideally depends on the link capacity.

-Nagendra 

Dear Nagendra,

Thank you for your reply. yes you are right if there is no data available the reservation can't be made. But what i studied RSVP in the University was that it keep reserve bandwidth due to which efficient use of bandwidth can't be made. Here in the TE RSVP is used. My question is lets bandwidth is available and the requested bandwidth for the tunnel is 10Mbps but the data that initiated the tunnel is much less than 10Mbps, so here again will the remaining bandwidth can't be reused by other data over the link as RSVP reserved it ? I know about the auto bandwidth feature of TE tunnel, but i just want to clarify this part.

Thank you

Hello abdulbasitkhan,

The RSVP Bandwidth Reservation is done in control plane only ( not actual bandwidth reservation) so any traffic can utilize the underlying interfaces and compete with the TE tunnel traffic normally.

For your example:

• My question is lets bandwidth is available and the requested bandwidth for the tunnel is 10Mbps but the data that initiated the tunnel is much less than 10Mbps, so here again will the remaining bandwidth can't be reused by other data over the link as RSVP reserved it ?

Yes, the other data can normally use the remaining Mbps and competes with the TE tunnel data

I hope that i answered your question

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: