cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic stuck at Route Reflector

EdgarMurray8920
Level 1
Level 1

I am studying for the CCNP Service Provider and I am trying to understand the Route Reflector design and configuration regarding MPLS LDP.  I have read that the Route Reflector does not need MPLS with LDP since is not part of the forwarding plane. But if you have the Route Reflector in the middle, the traffic will have to pass through the Route Reflector.

In that case, the RR should have MPLS LDP configured?

In my lab, I configured the RR without MPLS, and the traffic is stuck at the route reflector. In the picture submitted, if do a trace from PE01 Loopback on the left to PE02 Loopback on the right. I can't get past P1. 

Does that mean I would need to configure MPLS LDP in the RR in my design or do I have a design or config error?

Any help is welcome

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @EdgarMurray8920 ,

Yes you need to configure LDP on the route reflector if it is in the forwarding path. In production networks, the RR is normally not in the forwarding path, hence no need to configure LDP on it.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @EdgarMurray8920 ,

Yes you need to configure LDP on the route reflector if it is in the forwarding path. In production networks, the RR is normally not in the forwarding path, hence no need to configure LDP on it.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for the clarification. I was almost sure that was the case.