cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the 'tunnel mpls traffic-en bandwidth' ?

jobg12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I do not understand about 'mpls tunnel traffic-en bandwidth'

If i want to use the RSVP-TE then i know i have to configure the 'ip rsvp bandwidth ...'  and 'tunnel mpls traffic-en bandwidth...'

But why i have to configure them for TE.

RSVP is Resource Reservation Bandwidth so i think that 'ip rsvp bandwidth' checked the available B/W in physical interface for TE and it is not the reality B/W for tunnel.

Is it correct?

Can you teach me them for me 'IP RSVP BANDWIDTH, TUNNEL MPLS TRAFFIC-EN BANDWIDTH'

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Byung,

the ip rsvp bandwidth specifies the total amount of resources available outbound an interface = total reserveable bandwidth on the link it can even bei higher then effective interface speed.

The other command specifies the amount of bandwidth to be used in  the reservation for the specific MPLS TE tunnel and has to be lower then the first one in order for the link to be selected and used for the tunnel. If no suitable path is found the tunnel setup fails.

To be noted the bandwidth associated to an MPLS TE Tunnel is an administrative parameter and does not reflect the effective traffic that can travel over the tunnel.

The Call admission control is performed on the administrative bandwidth parameter not on effective user traffic.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you for your help

I have two more question

Please let me know why configure the TWO configuration on Physical interface and Tunnel interface...

Are they effected to PATH selection?

If it is correct, Can you tell me how to select the PATH?

Hello Byung,

the configuration of ip rsvp bandwidth is mandatory to assign resources to the interface, otherwise the link is not usable by MPLS TE.

The association of a tunnel bandwidth to an MPLS TE tunnel becomes the BW parameter in the RSVP messages that are exchanged to effectively create the tunnel end-to-end ( signalling phase)

The tunnel bandwidth can influence what links can be used to setup the TE tunnel

only links with remaining RSVP bandwidth > tunnel BW can be used, If no end-to-end path is found the tunnel will stay down with a message of PATH calculation error (there are the tunnel priorities that can play a role, for sake of simplicity we do not consider them here).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: