cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1.1.x Upgrade to 1.2 - Failing to complete - Does SSH Session need to remain open?

joshhunter
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I need some advice on upgrade ISE-3395 Appliances of Two-node deployment from 1.1.x to 1.2 using ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz.

I attempted this on customer's environment as per the release notes however the SSH dropped out during the upgrade, we reconnected but reviewing the show logging provided nor insight not did using the show application status ISE command, the database just appeared to be starting.

Left a number of hours and re-attempt but database appeared to be corrupt, had to re-install back to 1.1.x. and restore backup.

I have since tried to complete the upgrade in VM Environment, restore the customers configuration and using the upgrade bundle.

The SSH session timeout again and same situation the upgrade appears not to have taken place.

Can you confirm if having the SSH remaining open is vital to the upgrade? I cannot see why it would cause an issue.

Reading the ISE 1.1.1 upgrade guide suggest it can however:

Recovering the Appliance if the SSH Session Quits During Upgrade -

Detection: The SSH session or console was disconnected or quit during an upgrade.

How to Rollback: Reimage the Cisco ISE Appliance by using the previous ISO image and restore from the backup.

How to retry the upgrade: Continue with the upgrade again. If your appliance is used as a secondary node in the new Cisco ISE, Release 1.1.x, directly install the new ISO version, and register it to the new primary Administration ISE node.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

joshhunter
Level 4
Level 4

Just seen on the CLI also:

guest1/admin# application upgrade ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz josh

Save the current ADE-OS running configuration? (yes/no) [yes] ?

Generating configuration...

Saved the ADE-OS running configuration to startup successfully

Initiating Application Upgrade...

% Warning: Do not use Ctrl-C or close this terminal window until upgrade completes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

joshhunter
Level 4
Level 4

Just seen on the CLI also:

guest1/admin# application upgrade ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz josh

Save the current ADE-OS running configuration? (yes/no) [yes] ?

Generating configuration...

Saved the ADE-OS running configuration to startup successfully

Initiating Application Upgrade...

% Warning: Do not use Ctrl-C or close this terminal window until upgrade completes.

Correct. The CLI session needs to remain open during upgrade. In more recent ISE releases, the admin CLI is wrapped around screen so it's possible to resume accidentally disconnected sessions.