Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x Automatic authentication

aarons
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using a cisco 3560 switch and IAS for authentication. Everything works fine i can be assigned a VLAN etc however how can i get the client's machines to automatically authenticate after logging in to their machines?

A problem exists.. at boot time the switchport is unauthenticated and therefore down. Therefore trying to login to the Microsoft 2003 servers domain is impossible because the link is down.

My question is this: How can the user be automatically authenticated and join the domain without having to type in their credentials again with the baloon method after logging in?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

jafrazie
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This may help:

<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/8021x_client_configure.asp>

You need machine-auth --> which is "Authenticate as computer when computer information is available".

Hope this helps.

koksm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The 802.1x implementation of microsoft is limited in it's function. Try looking at an alternative client Meetinghouse (aegis client) and Funk.

In order to do this i needed to implement PEAP and certificates on the microsoft server. I couldnt figure out how to get this going with standard EAP-MD5 authentication.

Thanks for the help.