Views
Helpful
Replies

AAA Address Limit

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm setting up our ACS server to authenticate network management access using TACACS+ and it is working great but, when I create the Network Devices and AAA Clients I like to include the whole range that these devices will be in(we have 200+ DMVPN devices). When I do thi I get an error message everytime I open up the ACS server telling me "Managed Device Count Exceeded" under System Administration>Licensing>Base Server License. I was told that this was a cosmetic thing from Cisco TAC.

Will I be ok to add as many addresses as I need? I really don't want to have to go in and add every address for every network device in the network - even though this would result in less than the 500 device limit.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mauzamor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

There are two type of licenses the Base and the Larger Deployment license, with the base license the ACS will tell you that you can add 500 devices, however for the ACS 5.x every IP address is a device, so if you add one router with the range: 192.168.1.0/24 For the ACS this is the same than adding 255 devices, so if you add more than 500 devices you will get that informational message about "Managed Device Count Exceeded" but this is only cosmetic and you don't need to worry about it.

The Larger Deployment license the doesn't have a limit of devices, and it will remove the "informational message", but it will be up to you to decide if you need it or not.

Let me know if it helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mauzamor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

There are two type of licenses the Base and the Larger Deployment license, with the base license the ACS will tell you that you can add 500 devices, however for the ACS 5.x every IP address is a device, so if you add one router with the range: 192.168.1.0/24 For the ACS this is the same than adding 255 devices, so if you add more than 500 devices you will get that informational message about "Managed Device Count Exceeded" but this is only cosmetic and you don't need to worry about it.

The Larger Deployment license the doesn't have a limit of devices, and it will remove the "informational message", but it will be up to you to decide if you need it or not.

Let me know if it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: