cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.3 - Error when changing Device group or Location

Mel Popple
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to move a device from the Default location to a sub group and get the following message when I try (either with IE or Firefox)

This System Failure occurred: Index : 0, Size: 0. Your changes have not been saved. Click OK to return to the list page.

it also gives me the same error if I try and change the Device type from default to a sub group. I'm sure I could do this previously. The ACS build is (VMWARE install):

Cisco Application Deployment Engine OS Release: 1.2
ADE-OS Build Version: 1.2.0.228
ADE-OS System Architecture: i386

Copyright (c) 2005-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
All rights reserved.
Hostname: ACS1

Version information of installed applications
---------------------------------------------

Cisco ACS VERSION INFORMATION
-----------------------------
Version : 5.3.0.40
Internal Build ID : B.839

I'm suspecting it a read/write issue with the database or a database corruption. Can anyone enlighten me on how to fix it please ?

I have stopped and started the application acs via the console and show application status acs has the following to say about itself.

ACS1/admin# show application status acs

ACS role: PRIMARY

Process 'database'                  running
Process 'management'                running
Process 'runtime'                   running
Process 'view-database'             running
Process 'view-jobmanager'           running
Process 'view-alertmanager'         running
Process 'view-collector'            running
Process 'view-logprocessor'         running

Mel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jrabinow
Level 7
Level 7

Does this happen to small number of network devices or the whole set

If the former then I found the following CDETS

CSCtw59271    Random Network Device corruption after upgrade from ACS 5.2 to 5.3

Which includes the following workaround

Symptom 1: Delete and re-add the AAA client

Symptom 2:Modify the TACACS+ shared secret of the Network Device, re-enter the same key and save the Network device.

>>>> Use case where TACACS+ was used

There are some important fixes related to upgrade issues in patch 5 and later for ACS 5.3. While these do not relate to NDs I do recommend installing this patch

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

minkumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Did you recently upgrade the ACS from 5.2 to 5.3. If yes, then there is a known bug NDG's might get corrupted.

I would suggest you remove all the NDG'S and re-add them. else if you have the back up of the ACS. try to restore it on the ACS

- see if that fixes the issue

Regards

Minakshi (Do rate the helpful posts )

jrabinow
Level 7
Level 7

Does this happen to small number of network devices or the whole set

If the former then I found the following CDETS

CSCtw59271    Random Network Device corruption after upgrade from ACS 5.2 to 5.3

Which includes the following workaround

Symptom 1: Delete and re-add the AAA client

Symptom 2:Modify the TACACS+ shared secret of the Network Device, re-enter the same key and save the Network device.

>>>> Use case where TACACS+ was used

There are some important fixes related to upgrade issues in patch 5 and later for ACS 5.3. While these do not relate to NDs I do recommend installing this patch

Mel Popple
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the pointers guys, both answers were useful.

In the end I exported the troublesome clients to CSV, deleted them and then imported them back. They are now editable via the GUI once again.

Our primary ACS was built as a 5.2 and then upgraded to 5.3, the secondary was installed straight as 5.3. it makes me wonder if we could have also broken the pairing promoted the secondary and then joined the original primary as the secondary (I haven't got the kit to test that so only a theory).

i have marked jrabinow's answer as the correct one since it was Symptom 1 that we used to fix it.

Thanks

Mel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: