cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS LDAP Check Server Identity

ericdavis
Level 1
Level 1

I setup an external Identity store using SSL and have verified all works properly except when I have the Check Server Identity box checked.  If I uncheck that LDAP works fine.  What is this checking for?  I'm guessing something in the Certificate does not match, but I have no clue what.  I am using an internal CA that we setup for generating our own certs.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

1 Reply 1

jrabinow
Level 7
Level 7

Found the following in a specification

The identity verification consists of:

1. Check the host name format in LDAP configuration and classify it as either DNS or IP.

If the host name has the DNS format then extract  host name and domain.

2. Extract the names from x509 SUBJECT_ALT_NAME section of the incoming server certificate.

3. Iterate over the list acquired in step 2.

3.1If the current alt. name is of DNS type and the step 1 classification is DNS then compare both host names. If they are equal then flag successful verification and stop checking further.

3.2If the current alt. name is of DNS type and the step 1 classification is DNS then check for '*.' prefix (wildcard). If so, do two sanity checks: a. 2nd character of alt. name is '.'. ; and b. The lengths match; After the sanity checks compare the domain parts and if matches then flag successful verification and stop checking further.

3.3.If the current alt. name is of IP type and the step 1 classification is IP then compare both host IP addresses. If they are equal then flag successful verification and stop checking further. 

4 If no x509 SUBJECT_ALT_NAME section is found then extract the CN

4.1 If the CN is equal to the LDAP configuration host name then flag successful verification, if not then 

4.2 Check for '*.' prefix (wildcard). If so, do two sanity checks: a. 2nd character of alt. name is '.'. ; and b. The lengths match; 

After the sanity checks compare the domain parts and if matches then flag successful verification and stop checking further. 

5. If all previous checks have failed then flag failed verification

See examples

LDAP hostname configuration

SAN (or CN) hostname

Match?

Host.domain.com

Host.domain.com

yes

Host.domain.com

*.domain.com

yes

yes