Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS Scheduled Backups + Secondary backup

robdowson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a pair of ACS 5.3's - primary and secondary and am trying to configure scheduled backups to an SFTP server.

I've configured scheduled backups to backup ACS every night at 00:00

System Administration >  ... >  Operations >  Scheduled Backups

...which is working fine - although for some reason - the backup size was around 25MB when I was running 5.2 - but is now only 2.5MB since I upgraded to ACS 5.3...?

My question is:

- What does the scheduled backup include? Does it contain the ACS configuration (network device and user database, and policy etc) AND the ADE device config (the 'sh run' when you ssh to the ACS/ADE platform) - or is it just the ACS config? ie. is it the equivalent of the CLI command 'backup backupname repository myrepository' (ACS+ADE) or 'acs backup backupname repository myrepository' (just ACS)?

Also - with the scheduled backup - it only seems to create a backup from the primary ACS - but never creates a backup from the secondary ACS If the scheduled backup contains both the ACS databse and the ADE config - then that covers the whole primary ACS - but that means that the secondary's ADE config is never backed up? If you do a manual CLI backup from the secondary - you get a backup file created and transferred - although it's only small as it only contains the ADE config - but I'm confused why this isn't done as part of the scheduled backup?

Thanks,

Rob...

6 Replies 6

robdowson
Level 1
Level 1

TAC have just answered this question for me:

The Scheduled Backups feature backs up ACS configuration data only (all the GUI config, NDs,policies, user credentials etc).

It’s NOT equivalent to the CLI command 'backup backupname repository

It’s actually equivalent to the CLI command “'acs backup backupname repository” (This is ACS config data only).

The scheduled backup on the Primary will create an ACS configuration backup only. And since the Primary ACS and Secondary ACS should be in sync and the Primary controls any change in the database that’s fine (because it’s only config, no logs and no ADE OS data)

So you need to backup your ADE config separately - either a one off manual backup from the GUI (System Administration >  ... >  Operations >  Distributed System Management) - from the primary - and select 'ADE-OS and ACS Configuration Backup ' - AND then do the same for the secondary (still via the primary GUI). Or do a 'backup backupname repository ' from both primary and secondaries.

Or - backup the 'sh run' type config from both primary and secondary.

Hope that helps anyone else looking for the same answers. The documentation isn't that clear for this in ACS.

Rob...

Thanks for the useful info Rob. this should save us some time

Thanksfor this post.

I was also thinking about how to backup abput this appliance since it is something linuc and I do not have much inforamtion about thta.

But seems this backup might be same thing which can be very helpful in case of any problems.

Thanks

Ajay

ajay pandey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you provide me command which you ahd used for configuring SFTP server, since I am finding one problem in creating SFTP server.

Regards

Ajay

Ajay,

to configure SFTP path on the ACS, you can use these commands:

repository repository_for_ACS

url sftp://ip address/folder

user Username password Password

try and let us know

Actually I already did that and problem was fixed.

Thanks Ajay