cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a dedicated PSN for guest to a standalone deployment

Madura Malwatte
Level 4
Level 4

I have an existing standalone deployment with 2 ISE nodes each running all personas (PAN, MNT, PSN). We want to add a dedicated PSN to service guest traffic and will sit in the DMZ. It looks adding a dedicated PSN to this deployment type is not supported? Is there documentation which confirms this is not supported?

How can I move from my current deployment to one that will support a single PSN's in the DMZ with minimal VM's? Do I really need to have two ISE nodes running PAN/MnT in internal network, and another two nodes in Internal network as PSN, and 5th node as PSN in DMZ?

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 10.22.38 pm.jpg

3 Replies 3

paul
Level 10
Level 10

There are only 3 supported models for deployment:

1. Stand-alone with redundancy
  2. Hybrid- PAN and M&T on same nodes with up to 5 PSNs
  3. Dedicated- PAN on its own nodes, M&T on its own nodes and up to 50 PSNs

It will work to add a guest PSN in your setup but not a supported model.  To be supported you would have to add 3 more nodes.  Move the PSN functionality inside to dedicated nodes and then your guest PSN.

One alternative that I use frequently now is proxy your guest portal traffic through a DMZ load balancer (F5, Netscaler, etc.).  The load balancer can perform the following functions:

1. SSL termination so you don't need a public CA cert on your ISE deployment for guest services.
  2. URL inspection to ensure the guest traffic is only going to the portal.
  3. Host header inspection to direct the guest traffic to the correct ISE node.
  4. SSL reencryption with no certificate validation so the ISE deployment can run whatever certificate you want for the guest portal.
  5. Optionally, you can use the load balancer to securely expose the sponsor portal approval process to the Internet to allow employees to single click approve guests from their mobile phones.

Hi @paul thanks for your response. This is what I thought, minimum 5 nodes required. It's a big jump from 2 nodes to 5 nodes, especially because this deployment is for less than 100 users. We just wanted to have guest traffic be more secure. At the moment guest traffic is on a separate vnic that sits in the dmz on the internal ISE nodes - looks like that is officially supported and recommended by Cisco. But any concerns for security in this regard?

Having the ISE portals running on their own interfaces (in a DMZ) is probably the best thing you can do. You should also make your WLC ACLs as tight as you can by specifying the direction (ingress/egress) and protocol and port numbers - only allow the bare minimum.

If a hacker were to compromise an ISE node, I would suspect they could run a DOS attack on the node and cause it to run slow. But I have never tried that myself. I don't believe that ISE runs the ssh daemon on any interface other than gig0 - so that should be some comfort.

To be frank ... if you have a small shop with some Guest requirement, then spin up a 3rd ISE VM and dedicate that box just for guest. If some hackers plan to annihilate the guest portal then they won't affect your other services. I have implemented this for customers and it's never been an issue with TAC. An ISE node that only runs a guest portal has zero impact on the running system