cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broken Configuration

chuckbalogh
Level 1
Level 1

My client just changed his DSL service and now no traffic can pass through the 5505.  There is a new DSL modem and the service is  present.  During the change, the DSL tech had my customer move cables on the 5505 - there were only two.  Now I am unsure of where the cables should be located.  I am assuming that this is the reason it is not working.  NO configuration changes were made to the 5505. 

Using aTelnet session, I can see that Port 0 is Inside while Ports 1 - 7 are Ethernet. I tried connecting the  DSL modem to Port 0 and the switch to Ports 1 - 7.   I have no experience with the 5505 so am looking for other things that could be different.

The DSL modem is configured for DHCP as was the old modem.  It also has the same Gateway IP (192.168.1.254).  What other  parameters should I be checking?  Is it possible to configure a port with a static IP?

If I bypass the 5505 (and connect directly to a 24 port switch), the server and workstations can all communicate and access the Internet.  If I insert the 5505, between the DSL modem and 24 port switch, I cannot get to the Internet but the  server and  switch still work (with different IP's).

Thanks in advance for any help

3 Replies 3

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you cleared the arp table?

No I have not.  Please confirm that I would use the clear arp command in privileged Exec mode in a Telnet session.  Thank you. 

Hi Charles,

I was onsite yesterday and did clear the ARP table but I still had no connectivity.  Yesterday was the first time I had been in the ADSM interface (had been another forum post on this issue).  After looking around I saw that the ASA was configured for PPPoE.  Not sure why this was set this was as both the old and new DSL modems where provided a DHCP server (not configured for Bridged mode).  I changed the outside interface to DHCP and I was then able to access the Internet through the ASA.

Would you agree that PPPoE should not have worked if the DSL modem was providing a DHCP server function?