Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use ACS server to assign IP address per user

chaiwat_t
Level 1
Level 1

dear all,

I have problem about assigning IP address per user.

Currently, in test network, I've configured VLAN on switch 4506 and used command "ip helper" per VLAN to get dynamic IP address from DHCP server. I have ACS server to authenticate users. I think this method has worked now.

But if I want to when users have authenticated with ACS server in any VLAN, They will get the same IP address, assinging IP address per users. For example user1 log on his computer on VLAN 1. After he's authenticated with ACS, he will get IP address, 1.1.1.1. When he's log on his pc on VLAN 2, he will get the same ip address, 1.1.1.1. I think I can't configure this method in ACS server. Am I understan correctly?

Can anyone help or recommend me ?

Anyway, what is method, configuration or third party software used?

2 Replies 2

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

Basically there are 4 methods to assign IP address from the ACS, all 4 methods are explained in this document,

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_soft/csacs4nt/acs32/user02/g.htm#wp955961

I have exactly the same problem,

Users are authenticated to AAA using RADIUS.

Users get assigned an IP address from the IP Pool configured on the AAA SERVER.

When the same user authenticates from a different machine, it gives that user the SAME ip address causing an IP Conflict.

I think it is related to the Pool on the AAA server. It references the username and sees that that IP is already assigned to an active login, and then reallocates that IP address - causing an IP conflict.