cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Check logs on Cisco ISE

Alex Mac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all and sorry if this question has been already asked.

In a new environment I'm working at the moment I would like to check on Cisco ISE some logs for RADIUS authentication, authorization for EAP-PEAP authentication (not Live RADIUS Logs).
The problem is that in the GUI (2.0.0.306, I know very old!) I see many places where to configure logs or syslog servers but no way to look at them though the Cisco ISE itself is configured to retain the logs for one day.
Another weird setting I saw is that the Cisco ISE cluster is configured to send logs (type UDP SysLog [non standard port], TCP SysLog [non standard port] and SysLog [non standard port]) to each of the units like the Cisco ISE was a syslog server.

Is there anyone who may give some hints? Once I identify the meaningful logs for the EAP-PEAP (by the way it's related to govroam a sibling of eduroam) by tuning the log level I will forward them to the proper syslog servers.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Alex

3 Replies 3

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please note that ISE Live logs is the best way to check authentication issues.

ISE has local logging although it disabled by default for Passed Authentications. We may go to ISE Admin Web UI > Administration > System > Logging > Logging Categories. Select Passed Authentications and put a check mark on [ V ] Local Logging.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 9.15.08 AM.png

Then, we may either download the file(s) at ISE Admin WebUI > Operations > Troubleshoot > Download Logs > [ISE node name] > Debug logs.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 9.18.22 AM.png

Or, use ISE Admin CLI to tail on it.

myISE/admin# terminal length 0
myISE/admin# show logging application localStore/iseLocalStore.log tail

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE has local logging although it disabled by default for Passed Authentications. We may go to ISE Admin Web UI > Administration > System > Logging > Logging Categories. Select Passed Authentications and put a check mark on [ V ] Local Logging.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 9.15.08 AM.png

Then, we may either download the file(s) at ISE Admin WebUI > Operations > Troubleshoot > Download Logs > [ISE node name] > Debug logs.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 9.18.22 AM.png

Or, use ISE Admin CLI to tail on it.

myISE/admin# terminal length 0
myISE/admin# show logging application localStore/iseLocalStore.log tail

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

In my view, the Operational Reports are the only method that you can use in ISE to view historical data. Live Logs is great, but it's limited to the last 24 hours and last 100 rows.  Use the Reports to go back in time.

As for SYSLOGs - I find this is a challenging topic because first of all you often end up guessing which category to enable to get the data you want (Cisco documentation needs to be improved) and at which logging level to enable it to give just enough visibility.  But once that is done, you need a decent SIEM like Splunk or Graylog (or whatever) to crunch the data.  This is not a job for ISE.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: