Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACS and Samba

bbanier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

can the Cisco ACS talk to a Samba server which serves as an external database for user authentication ?

4 Replies 4

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

I am not really sure but I think it should work with Samba

hmm, if you want to use a native Windows userdb on an external server, one must install a Remote Agent on this external server to be able to talk with the Cisco ACS. But...this is an agent designed to run only on Windows. So, what options does one have, if one chooses not to rely on Microsoft Windows for authentication purposes, but instead use Samba and its userdb as external userdb ?

Reviving a very old discussion.. but this is a related question..

I see the Remote Agent can only be used with a Cisco ACS appliance and not with the Cisco ACS for windows.. See this documentation..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5338/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080193aa1.html#wp177471

I assume this is old documentation, and I want to know if this is limitation is valid even on the latest releases of ACS and remote agent software?

Found a answer for this. We dont need a remote agent if ACS is on a Windows server. It just needs to be part of NT domain for it to lookup the NT/AD database..