Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE Admin and EAP certificate renewal

Johannes Luther
Level 4
Level 4

Hi board,

maybe I'm asking a rather dumb question here, but anyway :)

I'm currently thinking about how to renew an admin/EAP certificate on an ISE node and the effect on the endpoint authentication.

Here's the thing I do, when I initially install an ISE node

1.) CSR creation on ISE (PAN) - CN=$FQDN$ and SAN="fqdn as well"

2.) Sign CSR and bind certificate on ISE node - done

Now after 10 month or so (if the certificate is valid for one year) I want to renew the ISE admin/EAP certificate.

CSR creation: I cannot use the $FQDN$ as the CN, because there is still the current certificate (CN must be unique in the store, right?)

So what to do now? Do I really need to create a temporary SSC and make it the admin/EAP certificate, delete the current certificate and then create a new CSR? There must be a better and more important non-disruptive way of doing this.

How do you guys do this in your deployments?

Thanks in advance and sorry again if this is a silly question.

Johannes

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can install a new certificate on the ISE before it is active, Cisco recommends that you install the new certificate before the old certificate expires. This overlap period between the old certificate expiration date and the new certificate start date gives you time to renew certificates and plan their installation with little or no downtime. Once the new certificate enters its valid date range, enable the EAP and/or HTTPS protocol. Remember, if you enable HTTPS, there will be a service restart

Certificate Renewal on Cisco Identity Services Engine Configuration Guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/116977-technote-ise-cert-00.html

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can install a new certificate on the ISE before it is active, Cisco recommends that you install the new certificate before the old certificate expires. This overlap period between the old certificate expiration date and the new certificate start date gives you time to renew certificates and plan their installation with little or no downtime. Once the new certificate enters its valid date range, enable the EAP and/or HTTPS protocol. Remember, if you enable HTTPS, there will be a service restart

Certificate Renewal on Cisco Identity Services Engine Configuration Guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/116977-technote-ise-cert-00.html

Thanks for that! I did something wrong or something weird happended during the CSR generation on the ISE. Of course I can create a new CSR with the same subject as an existing certificate.

Sorry about that...

Why do you need SAN="fqdn as well"?

Is there a condition where Subject CN match is not enough?

Hi, mean if I am using CA sign cert, as long as the root cert is present at all the ISE trusted store. this is the 1st step.

and then when the cert almost expired, eg 2week early, i activate the new cert, and that is downtime as the ISE server need to restart service so i need to plan for down time for all the ISE node.

end.

Please advise if my understand is correct.