cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE and SecurID Integration Questions

mfwilkinson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for some clarity trying to understand something conceptually. I want to integrate Cisco ISE with RSA SecurID, the idea being that if the user authenticates with RSA SecurID they end up on one VLAN, however, if they don't authenticate with (or don't use, or don't have) SecurID they'll end up on another VLAN. Note that I'm not using SecurID for wireless access...all PCs are wired to Ethernet.

We have been using RSA SecurID for a while and are currently on version 8.0. Our users are authenticating via the RSA Agent typically on Windows 8.1. Instead of the usual Windows login prompt, the RSA Agent first prompts for the username and passcode (they use an app on their smartphones to get the passcode), then after a moment or two, it prompts for their Windows domain password.

We have recently installed Cisco ISE version 1.3. With the help of a local Cisco engineer and going through the "Cisco Identity Services Engine User Guide", I have it set up and running along with a few 'test' ports on our Cisco 6809 switch, it basically works...as a test it's simply set up that if they authenticate they're on one VLAN, if not, they end up on another (this is currently without using RSA...just out-of-the-box Windows authentication).

The Cisco engineer was unable to help me with RSA SecurID, so pressing on without him, out of the same user guide I have followed the directions for "RSA Identity Sources" under the "Managing Users and External Identity Sources", and that went well as far as ISE is concerned; I am now ready to get serious about getting ISE and SecurID working together.

My mistake in this design so far was assuming that the RSA agent on the Windows client PCs would communicate with Cisco ISE...there doesn't seem to be a way to have them point to a non-RSA SecurID server for authentication. The concept I'm missing is what, or how, the end-user machine is supposed to authenticate taking advantage of both ISE and SecurID.

I have dug deeper into the Cisco ISE documentation but it seems heavily biased towards Wi-Fi and BYOD implementations and it's not clear to me what applies to wired vs wireless. Perhaps it's a case that I'm not seeing the forest for the trees, but I'm not understanding what the end-user authentication looks like. It apears that as I learn more about ISE, it should become the primary SSO source, that SecurID becomes just an identity source and the PC clients would no-longer directly communicate with the SecurID servers. That being the case, do I need to replace the SecurID client on the PCs and something else Cisco-ish fills this role? An agent for ISE? How do they continue to use their passcode without the RSA agent?

Thanks!

0 Replies 0