Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE console port

Hi,

Can anyone clarify my doubts with Console access to Cisco 3595 Appliance.

Does Cisco 3595 Appliance has separate console port like the Cisco Switches ?? Can i use the console cable directly to access the console ?? 

OR do i need to connect the KVM cable in Front & use the serial port of it ?? In case i need to use the Serial port on KVM cable, is the serial port a male DB-9 connector or female DB-9 connector ?? Isn't the purpose of Hardware installation guide to mention whether it is male or female & you would need opposite of it to connect ?? 

What is the port next to Dedicated Management port https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5-8-1/installation/guide/csacs_book/csacs_ovr_ucs3500.pdf ?? is it a serial console port &  can i connect console cable to it to access the CLI ??

Can anybody help ??

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mnagired
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Shivaprasad,

Yes, refer to the Figure 2 in the link you shared.. Console port(Serial port (RJ-45 connector)) is RJ-45 port which is similar to what available on any Cisco Switch.. 

View solution in original post

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi there @Shivaprasad Gudsi - for a long time I thought the DB-9 Serial port on the ISE appliance was for CIMC access. But it's actually linked to the operating system instead.  So when Linux boots up, and the tty is enabled, then you will get the ISE login prompt.  

I believe there is a keystroke sequence to allow you to jump into the CIMC from there - but I might be wrong.  Anyway, I thought I would add that in, since others might wonder whether or not the console is for CIMC or for the Operating System terminal.

regards

Arne

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

mnagired
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Shivaprasad,

Yes, refer to the Figure 2 in the link you shared.. Console port(Serial port (RJ-45 connector)) is RJ-45 port which is similar to what available on any Cisco Switch.. 

Thank you :)

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi there @Shivaprasad Gudsi - for a long time I thought the DB-9 Serial port on the ISE appliance was for CIMC access. But it's actually linked to the operating system instead.  So when Linux boots up, and the tty is enabled, then you will get the ISE login prompt.  

I believe there is a keystroke sequence to allow you to jump into the CIMC from there - but I might be wrong.  Anyway, I thought I would add that in, since others might wonder whether or not the console is for CIMC or for the Operating System terminal.

regards

Arne

Hello Arne,
Thanks for your inputs & I have read about this in your earlier question.
Because of that I have already found it out from the docs:

To Open the Cisco IMC Configuration Utility:

a. Press and hold the front panel power button for four seconds to boot the server.

b. During bootup, press F8 when prompted to open the Cisco IMC Configuration Utility.

This utility has two windows that you can switch between by pressing F1 or F2.

c. Continue with Setup CIMC Configuration Utility<>.

Hope this helps & works :). Thank you :)

I was initially hoping to have a method of configuring CIMC WITHOUT needing a VGA monitor and keyboard.  And this is when I thought the DB-9 console port would be all I needed to configure a UCS server from scratch.  Well, I don't think that is possible because the CIMC is only accessible via the physical VGA ports (and pressing F8 at startup) or via the Ethernet CIMC IP address.

What do you mean by pressing F1/F2?  Is that from within a CIMC console session to switch to the operating system console (tty)?

regards

JESSICA Walsh
Level 1
Level 1

How did you get your serial console to work? Ours just spits out garbage characters. i went into the settings and changed  the speed to 9600, but that didn't produce any change.

I have the same problem, I see garbage:

Trying xxxxxxxx (1.1.1.1, 2003)... Open
▒▒

I disabled serial over LAN in the CIMC and the console port stopped spitting out garbage. I am still able to bring up a console connection using CIMC as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: