cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE Install Issues

Chris Terry
Level 1
Level 1

I’m trying to reimage a SNS appliance with Cisco ISE. I’m using a bootable USB. 

When I boot from the USB and choose install it will kick off the install. During the install it mentions sda was not unmounted properly. It keeps going and then gives a message about dracut-initqueue 668 warning could not boot and then it’s goes into a emergency GNU bash shell with the prompt dracut:/#

it seems like an issue with installing to the drive. 

Is there a way to fix it? Is there a modification to the grub file that needs to be done? A set of commands to be ran in the GNU bash shell or efi shell? Something that can done in the LSI Software RAID set up utility?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The easiest way around this might be to just mount the ISO as a "dvd" via the CIMC html5 interface. If that's not an option then another thread had suggested this error can also be related to not booting with uefi enabled. 

There are instructions for creating a bootable USB for ISE installation, I'm asusming you already found it and have followed the instructions it provided. 
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-1/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide31/b_ise_InstallationGuide31_chapter_4.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The easiest way around this might be to just mount the ISO as a "dvd" via the CIMC html5 interface. If that's not an option then another thread had suggested this error can also be related to not booting with uefi enabled. 

There are instructions for creating a bootable USB for ISE installation, I'm asusming you already found it and have followed the instructions it provided. 
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-1/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide31/b_ise_InstallationGuide31_chapter_4.html

It does look like it's in Legacy boot instead of UEFI. Do you have a link to the other thread?

No matter what I did I was unable to install it via USB. I had to get access to the CIMC GUI and mount the ISO as you mentioned. It was on an older version so it wasn't a possibility at first.

There is a flaw with the USB instructions and you need to set it to sdb1. I know I ran into this on our 3595s.

replace ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg with ks=hd:sdb1:/ks.cfg

But for me, the best device is an iodd. The device mounts an ISO as a cdrom, no editing etc, ISE sees it as a CD and works wonders. But as you are probably down on that machine, try the sdb as that is what worked for us.

brol
Level 1
Level 1

I had this exact problem and turns out i had to use /dev/sdc1 to get it to work.

When i got dropped to a dracut:/# shell, it said i could type "exit" to continue, when i did that, the Anaconda environment appeared and said it couldn't find sdb1:/ks.cfg. It also said on the screen i had a TTY2 available.
So using TTY2 and type lsblk i could finally see, the usb was not on /dev/sdb1, but instead it was /dev/sdc1.

Replaced sdb with sdc in isolinux.cfg and grub.cfg, saved and booted, install finally worked.