cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE Monitoring API - How to get detailed information from session's active Mac Addresses?

ShuningWu14393
Level 1
Level 1

We want to get detailed information from session's active Mac Addresses, and below is what we did:

1. First, we used this request on Monitoring API to get the session active list: https://<ISEhost>/admin/API/mnt/Session/ActiveList  
  2. The active list gave us about 10,000 Mac Addresses, then we used another request to get detailed information for each active Mac Address: https://<ISEhost>/admin/API/mnt/Session/MACAddress/<macaddress>
  3. However, from Step 2, we only got non-empty responses from the first ~5000 Mac Addresses

So our questions are:

• Does the Monitoring API have any time-out setting (e.g., the server will terminate the API connection after a certain time)?
  • Does the Monitoring API have any rate limit (e.g., the server will terminate the API connection if too many requests have been submitted)? 
  • Any other possible reasons that we were not able to get complete information for all 10K Mac addresses?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Per documentation the ActiveList has a limit of 250,000.  However, I do not see a documented limit on your detailed query.  Is it possible that at the time of running the query to gather detailed info there are no longer that many active macs?  I don't see any limits in documentation either.  Referencing this: Cisco Identity Services Engine API Reference Guide, Release 2.x - Introduction to the Monitoring REST APIs [Cisco Identity Services Engine] - Cisco

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Per documentation the ActiveList has a limit of 250,000.  However, I do not see a documented limit on your detailed query.  Is it possible that at the time of running the query to gather detailed info there are no longer that many active macs?  I don't see any limits in documentation either.  Referencing this: Cisco Identity Services Engine API Reference Guide, Release 2.x - Introduction to the Monitoring REST APIs [Cisco Identity Services Engine] - Cisco

Thanks much for your reply, Mike! Our environment is pretty stable (the active MAC addresses are always around 10K as most of them are servers staying connected), so this is really strange to us that every time we run the API, we only get some of them back.  

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am also querying on this. do you have a tac case open as well to see if can be reproduced?

Hi, Jason,

We haven't opened a TAC support case yet. Did you meet with similar issue before?

No we don’t have history on this, please open a case and I will research internally

Hmm, looks like I don't have permission to open a case (probably I don't have a service contract tied to my account?). Would you be able to create a case on your end? Thanks!

No i cannot, have to work through support channels.