Views
Helpful
Replies

Citrix Netscaler and ISE - RADIUS packets being truncated

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Hello

I have an ISE deployment (2x PAN/MnT and 3 PSNs) in development. Deployment is primarily for wired 802.1x/MAB.

Before deploying the PSNs behind a Citrix Netscaler I setup a dev environment:

• NAD is WS-C3650-48PD 03.06.05E (device-sensor collecting dhcp/cdp/lldp)
  • NAD configured with the 3 PSNs in a radius aaa group.

Cisco phones connected to the NAD were being profiled correctly by ISE with Endpointsource listed as RADIUS Probe. I could see all the device-sensor cdp/lldp/dhcp information ok.

I setup ISE loadbalancing on a Citrix VPX (NetScaler NS10.5: Build 61.11.nc) - VIPs were configured for RADIUS 1812/1813 and I moved one PSN logically fully behined the VPX.

NAD was reconfigured with the Netscaler VIP as the only RADIUS server and for CoA.

On testing phones (profiled previously) authentication/accounting worked fine. I deleted one of the profiled phones as a test and found ISE couldn't profile it. I done packet captures on the NAD and VPX and found:

• NAD was sending RADIUS authentication (plus attributes required for profiling)
  • VPX was truncating the RADIUS authentication packet cutting of some off the attributes.

I then setup a snmp trap VIP on the VPX and a trap statement on the NAD and now the loadbalanced PSN can profile the phone ok (Endpointsource is still listed as RADIUS Probe)

I knew there was an issue with Netscaler RADIUS fragmentation/reassembly on Netscaler but thought this was resolved in 10.5 build 50. Has any other Netscaler/ISE users come across this? VPX appliance is the free demo version.

Thanks
Andy

1 Reply 1

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

My apologies - the netscaler trace was restricted to 164 bytes by default so the capture was reported as being truncated. RADIUS packet sent by NAD IS being forwarded ok to PSN.

Cheers

Andy