cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure ISE MAB to allow devices on vendor ID part of mac address ?

Redguy
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to setup ISE to recognize devices for MAB based on the vendor ID part of their mac addresses ? 

My company builds robot solutions and uses it's own vendor code. I want to recognize our robot products as the are plugged into the network in our various test and development areas so they get assigned to the test network via NAC & ISE/MAB instead of having to register their mac addresses all the time. Those developers and test guys are busy bees and always in a rush and will plug all kinds of stuff into any outlet they see fit.

3 Replies 3

@Redguy yes, you can use the ISE profiling to profile the device based on the MAC OUI and/or other attributes learnt about the device. You can then return a dynamic VLAN or other settings such as DACL to the devices that match your specific profiled devices.

You may need to create a specific profiling policy to match your require MAC OUI (if not built-in to ISE already), you can combine multiple attributes in the policy.

ISE Profiling Guide for more information - https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-knowledge-base/ise-profiling-design-guide/ta-p/3739456#toc-hId--368844690

Ah great !,  

I haven't reached the profiling part of my ISE training yet, but that will save me a lot of time setting up the test networks.

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

In addition to what Rob mentioned (ISE profiling), you can also achieve this without Profiling. Remember that Profiling requires the medium tier license (Plus/Advantage). If you only have the Base/Essentials license you can create simple MAB Authorization Policy Rules that match on the MAC prefix hex digits. That only consumes a base license.