Views
Helpful
Replies

EAP-TLS Authentication and Active Directory Group Authorization

reynaldolopeza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

We will Implement Network Access Control with ISE server and EAP-TLS Protocol for Endpoints Authentication using the Windows native client and Machine Certificates generated from the Internal CA of the company (Windows). We also configured Active directory as an External Source for ISE and we want to grant authorization using different ACLs depending on Active Directory Groups. 

Is it possible to apply the following configuration in ISE Policies?

Authentication: EAP-TLS inner protocol, PEAP outer protocol

Authorization Condition: Active Directory User Group, Result: DACL

Any suggestion or comment is well appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes.

Authentication Policy:

image.png

For Authorization Policies with AD, see examples @ Microsoft Active Directory Groups Authorizations

For dACL:

image.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can absolutely accomplish this with your ISE policies.  In order to meet the two wishes you can utilize several different conditions.  Here are a few ideas:

Is it possible to apply the following configuration in ISE Policies?

Authentication: EAP-TLS inner protocol, PEAP outer protocol

-Inside your policy you can create an authc condition that looks like this: NetworkAccess:EAPAuthentication EQUALS EAP-TLS.  You can also create a global allowed protocols list that gets referenced at the global level that is only referenced for hosts onboarding to the network via EAP-TLS.

Authorization Condition: Active Directory User Group, Result: DACL

-Assuming you have several unique networks in your environment you will want to create separate authz profiles (under: Policy->Policy Elements->Results->Authorization->Authorization Profiles) so that you can apply respective DACLs to each host and their unique AD group (since the assumption will be different levels of access).  Your authz condition to reference unique AD groups would look like this: <name>ExternalGroups EQUALS abc.def/OU/OU/<group>

There are some great examples and resources found here: Cisco ISE & NAC Resources - Cisco Community

Good luck & HTH!

Hi Mike, 

Thank you for your reply.

So to accomplish my goals my authorization condition would only have to include the external groups of each domain group we want to give a specific DACL? And the 802.1x native client would only need to be configured to send authentication for computer, not user right?

Thank you in advanced.

So to accomplish my goals my authorization condition would only have to include the external groups of each domain group we want to give a specific DACL?

-Yes. Along with any other conditions you wish to utilize to make onboarding more secure.  My suggestion is to test capabilities to meet your unique needs in your environment.

And the 802.1x native client would only need to be configured to send authentication for computer, not user right?

-This depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  If you wish to onboard via comp cert with EAP-TLS that will work just fine.  In that case your authz condition will match against external security groups in AD that contain the computer objects.  If you wish to look into something such as eap-chaining it is a bit more complex, and in order to rely on native supplicant (no AnyConnect) you have to meet a few requirements.  Take a peek here: Using TEAP for EAP Chaining – Cisco ISE Tips, Tricks, and Lessons Learned (ise-support.com)

HTH!

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes.

Authentication Policy:

image.png

For Authorization Policies with AD, see examples @ Microsoft Active Directory Groups Authorizations

For dACL:

image.png