Views
Helpful
Replies

% Error in authentication

jakskal07
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ...

Just setup Cisco 7606 Router by console with IOS version s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SRA3.bin.

username xxxx password 7 xxxxxxxx

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ local

aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable

aaa authorization commands 1 default group tacacs+ none

aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs+ none

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting commands 1 default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting network default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting connection default start-stop group tacacs+

aaa accounting system default start-stop group tacacs+

I missed enter tacacs ip address and enable secret password. After the console window is log out, I try to enter privilege mode but failed and get following error:

7606-Router>en

% Error in authentication

Please advice how to enter the privilege mode of router.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Since you missed tacacs ip address and enable secret password, things are not looking good. As you have configured LOCAL as fallback method but can't use because if 7600 will try three times to contact the Tacacs server (since no ip for tacacs), after three tires it will fall back to local.

Now if you try with local user, again we don't have the enable password defined so it will give this error message. i guess if you have not saved the config, try to reload the device :-(.

Vinay

Thanks & Regards

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for respond. Unfortunately the config has been saved, reloading the router is not helping

Thanks

Hi,

In this case the only option to change or modify the config is bypassing the running config during router bootup. Please check the link to do the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm31/configuration/guide/troubl_f.html#wp1049302

and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_password_recovery09186a0080133fb1.shtml

Hope this will help.

Vinay

Thanks & Regards

I tried by changing the config register to 0x2142 value from the  rommonitor mode and restarting the router but it again asking for  username and password combination. 

Hi Gilang,

have to tried the first link which explains the steps for "Clearing the Application Partition Passwords and AAA Settings" which tells how to recover/remove aaa/enable password?

Vinay

Thanks & Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: