Views
Helpful
Replies

Expiration TTL for certificates with ISE CSR

masyamad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team,

I'm testing to issue certificates for EAP-TLS, and found expiration TTL is always set to 2 years for server cert.

When I configured certificate templates for client cert, I could set 3652 days at maximum.

Client-side.png

But when I configured CSR for server certificate, I couldn't set the period.

Server-side.png

As the result, certificate for server is always issued with 2 years valid period

even though MS CA template permits to issue longer period.

ise.png

Now my customer wants to issue client cert with maximum 3652 days, so want to issue server cert with similar period. How can I change the period? Does it require generating privacy key on different place?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ognyan.totev
Level 5
Level 5

Hi go to certificates>system certificates >generate new self signed certificate

Chose from options for what you will use it Admin portal EAP authentication etc.

Chose period you want Expiration TTL .

If you chose to use it for eap-tls be sure that client machines must have this certificate in trust authority

otherwise authentication will fail

View solution in original post

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are using MS CA to sign the CSR of an ISE server certificate, then the certificate template used in MS CA will determine how long it good for and, of course, the root CA and any intermediate CA certificates need to be valid much longer than any end-entity certificates the MS CA service signs.

Usually we duplicate one of existing certificate templates (e.g. Web Server), update the validity period, and then add it as a Certificate Template to Issue.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 2.04.40 PM.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ognyan.totev
Level 5
Level 5

Hi go to certificates>system certificates >generate new self signed certificate

Chose from options for what you will use it Admin portal EAP authentication etc.

Chose period you want Expiration TTL .

If you chose to use it for eap-tls be sure that client machines must have this certificate in trust authority

otherwise authentication will fail

Thanks for the info. Yes, I did issue some certificate for other purpose, ex admin GUI, portals, and set 15 years as TTL. But now I need signed certificate for PEAP/EAP-TLS. It would better to set longer time for CSR.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are using MS CA to sign the CSR of an ISE server certificate, then the certificate template used in MS CA will determine how long it good for and, of course, the root CA and any intermediate CA certificates need to be valid much longer than any end-entity certificates the MS CA service signs.

Usually we duplicate one of existing certificate templates (e.g. Web Server), update the validity period, and then add it as a Certificate Template to Issue.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 2.04.40 PM.png

Thanks. As I stated in 1st message, the template permits longer period. I actually already set the value to 10 years, but didn't work.

無題2.png

But anyway I found the root cause of the issue. It caused by registry setting.

無題.png

After change the key "ValidityPeriodUnits" from 2 to 20. Certificate began to come with expected period (10 years).

Thanks so much for all supports!

Yes, you are correct on this. I've not been setting up MS CA recently so forgot all about it.

This MS Wiki explains it in more details -- 

How to Change/Extend the Expiration Date of Certificates that Are Issued by a Windows Server 2008 or a Windows Server 2003 Certificate Authority - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki