Views
Helpful
Replies

High authentication latency

lni1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Guru's,

Since yesterday we are encountering "high authentication latency" errors on one of our 3 PSN's. Our system is already up/running for 3months, so the latency can't be explained by increased AAA traffic. Suddenly CPU was at 40%, memory at 45% and latency >1000ms causing timeouts in AAA.

We are running ISE 2.0 Patch #3

Is this a bug ? 

Can be checked what is the cause of the high latency ?

Kind Regards,

Lieven Stubbe

Infrabel / Belgian Railways

3 Replies 3

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Infrabel-

Quick question: Are you actually having any issues (users not able to authenticate, etc) or are you just seeing the alerts? The reason I ask is because those messages can be normal when you have a lot of Guest/Webauth users that associate to the SSID but never actually login.  

I also did a bug scrub and there are a few bugs listed for High Authentication Latency but none of them matched your version running. With that said, you could still open a case with TAC and have them validate that as well. 

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

To add to what cisconspasov  mentioned, I have seen instances where ISE built on VM's having these issues when the underlying host was not built with the right resources. You had not mentioned whether this was a hardware or virtual appliance, so one direction that you might have to look into is the VM resource utilization.

alberx
Level 1
Level 1

I have this same problem with ISE 2.1, and there is a bug reported for. Unfortunately without workaround or plan to be fixed.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuz63141/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir