Replies

how to boot appliance with HUU-iso from USB-stick

looking for Subject for SNS-37XX series .  thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Looks like the ISE installer contains reference to the "cdrom" - but since we're using a USB stick masquerading as a CDROM, it didn't work - so the Cisco docs say to replace the "Kickstart" variable  ks=cdrom  to ks=hd:sdb1 (where b refers to the second "hard drive" - the first hard drive is the real disk/RAID in the server).

But I was not aware that you had to hack the HUU like that too.  Having said that, I only remember (fondly) booting the HUU over the KVM.

Whatever you do to the SNS servers, do not flash them with any random verison of HUU - you MUST always use the firmware found on the ISE download site, or you will brick your server.

In general, have a read through this lovely thread on people suffering with USB-based HUU process. Maybe there is an answer in there. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

khm... "Click Browse and browse for the HUU .iso file" is about to map ISO from management PC to vKVM-Mapped vDVD.
we are looking for the mean to boot HUU from the USB-stick inserted into appliance (incl. the manual how to prepare bootable HUU USB-stick). 

went through article. for boot from USB stick i've found only below:

andydoesntlikeuucp_1-1725537633950.png
is it enough simply to copy HUU.iso on the USB-stick to boot from it? :0)
Ok let's assume we created somehow (maybe with rufus) bootable HUU USB-stick & inserted it into USB-slot of SNS-37XX...
Should we expect that "USB" boot option will appear in the below list?

andydoesntlikeuucp_0-1725537575403.png
it's restricted environment with service personnel having no laptops & only able to use local to appliance storage (like USB-stick) & external k/b&monitor. and circuit for OoB is too slow to transfer even HUU.iso from remote PC to appliance. that's why we r enforced to stick with USB-stick :0)

I'm not sure if the HUU is similar to the standard ISE install, but you may need to look for config files pointing to the CD ROM and change to point to the HD like ISE. Here is to make an ISE bootable. You may need to verify HD# as I know the 3595 we use to have was sdb. Now, one thing I have found a lifesaver is a device called an iodd. you add a HD into it and any iso file in a folder can be selected and it mounts as a cd drive, no modifications or anything. This is what I use on ISE appliances now.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-1/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide31/b_ise_InstallationGuide31_chapter_4.html

i understand from your post that below step in docs may be inaccurate:

"Replace the term "cdrom" in both the files.
For SNS hardware appliance, replace the term "cdrom" with "hd:sdb1" in both the files.
Specifically, replace all instances of the "cdrom" string. For example, replace
ks=cdrom/ks.cfg
with
ks=hd:sdb1:/ks.cfg"

Could u bring more details on it pls?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Looks like the ISE installer contains reference to the "cdrom" - but since we're using a USB stick masquerading as a CDROM, it didn't work - so the Cisco docs say to replace the "Kickstart" variable  ks=cdrom  to ks=hd:sdb1 (where b refers to the second "hard drive" - the first hard drive is the real disk/RAID in the server).

But I was not aware that you had to hack the HUU like that too.  Having said that, I only remember (fondly) booting the HUU over the KVM.

Whatever you do to the SNS servers, do not flash them with any random verison of HUU - you MUST always use the firmware found on the ISE download site, or you will brick your server.

In general, have a read through this lovely thread on people suffering with USB-based HUU process. Maybe there is an answer in there. 

always appreciate your most valuable input on SNSs&ISE
tnx ARne