Views
Helpful
Replies

How to customise the Access-Reject for a failed Authentication Policy

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi

I am unable to figure out how to enrich the Access-Reject reply with additional Radius attributes in a particular use case - I am looking up the Guest User identity store and if the user is disabled then I want to return a custom Reply-Message to the client as a reason for rejecting the request.  The response to the client should look as follows:

Access Type = ACCESS_REJECT

Reply-Message = User-Not-Found

But I am unable to specify a customised Deny Result that includes the Reply-Message.  Is this possible for Authentication Policies?

Here are the ISE 2.2 Steps

Steps

11001  Received RADIUS Access-Request

11017  RADIUS created a new session

11117  Generated a new session ID

15049  Evaluating Policy Group

15008  Evaluating Service Selection Policy

15048  Queried PIP - Normalised Radius.RadiusFlowType (2 times)

15048  Queried PIP - DEVICE.Device Type

15004  Matched rule - WebProxy

15041  Evaluating Identity Policy

15006  Matched Default Rule

22072  Selected identity source sequence - Guest_Portal_Sequence

15013  Selected Identity Source - Internal Users

24210  Looking up User in Internal Users IDStore - user1

24216  The user is not found in the internal users identity store

15013  Selected Identity Source - Guest Users

24631  Looking up User in Internal Guests IDStore

24206  User disabled

22057  The advanced option that is configured for a failed authentication request is used

22061  The 'Reject' advanced option is configured in case of a failed authentication request

11003  Returned RADIUS Access-Reject

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RFC 2865 RADIUS Section 4.3 Access-Reject says,

If any value of the received Attributes is not acceptable, then

the RADIUS server MUST transmit a packet with the Code field set

to 3 (Access-Reject). It MAY include one or more Reply-Message

Attributes with a text message which the NAS MAY display to the

user.

Because "MAY" but not "MUST", ISE is currently not sending Reply-Message attribute in the responses.

If you have a very good use case, then I hope you may bring it up with our product management teams, either directly (if Cisco internal) or indirectly (if partners or customers).

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

howon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, not possible with authentication policies. You will need to let it continue to the Authorization and send a customized AuthZ profile that contains Reject & Reply-Message. The problem is though, currently in ISE the 'User Disabled' attribute is not an exposed AuthZ condition, which may make your AuthZ policy bit more complex.

Hi howon

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.  I was a long time Cisco Prime Access Registrar user and almost anything was possible - even if it meant writing some tcl code :-)

I tried your suggestion and it works.  Well .. partially.

On the surface, ISE seems to be processing the request correctly, and even tells me it's applying the AuthZ Profile - but my Access-Reject does not contain the additional attribute I wanted.

I created an Authorization Profile called "WebProxyRejectUNF" that contains the additional Reply-Message:

Access Type = ACCESS_REJECT

Reply-Message = User-Not-Found

And when I get such a failed Auth, the steps now look correct

Steps

11001  Received RADIUS Access-Request

11017  RADIUS created a new session

11117  Generated a new session ID

15049  Evaluating Policy Group

15008  Evaluating Service Selection Policy

15048  Queried PIP - Normalised Radius.RadiusFlowType (2 times)

15004  Matched rule - WebProxy

15041  Evaluating Identity Policy

15006  Matched Default Rule

22072  Selected identity source sequence - Guest_Portal_Sequence

15013  Selected Identity Source - Internal Users

24210  Looking up User in Internal Users IDStore - user1

24216  The user is not found in the internal users identity store

15013  Selected Identity Source - Guest Users

24631  Looking up User in Internal Guests IDStore

24206  User disabled

22057  The advanced option that is configured for a failed authentication request is used

22060  The 'Continue' advanced option is configured in case of a failed authentication request

24423  ISE has not been able to confirm previous successful machine authentication

15036  Evaluating Authorization Policy

15048  Queried PIP - Network Access.AuthenticationStatus

15004  Matched rule - Web Proxy Failed

15016  Selected Authorization Profile - WebProxyRejectUNF

15039  Rejected per authorization profile

11003  Returned RADIUS Access-Reject

But I only receive the Access-Reject and no further attribute, despite Step 15016 above.  Did I miss something?

I haven't quite understood what ISE is telling me below - I feel it's a hint but I can't make sense of it yet.

Authentication Details

Source Timestamp   2017-05-05 08:53:10.064

Received Timestamp   2017-05-05 08:53:10.059

Policy Server   ise02

Event  5400 Authentication failed

Failure Reason  15039 Rejected per authorization profile

Resolution   Authorization Profile with ACCESS_REJECT attribute was selected as a result of the matching authorization rule. Check the appropriate Authorization policy rule-results.

Root cause   Selected Authorization Profile contains ACCESS_REJECT attribute

I suspected that may be the case. So it seems when ACCESS-REJECT is sent, ISE doesn't send other attributes with the response. Just curious though, what is the application for this? In the end, the NAD will simply deny the user so what is the use for such attribute returned? I can think of logging reasons, but you already have the logging information available centrally on the ISE so not sure if that is what you are after.

hello, i tried to apply vlan attribute in the Access-Reject , but there is no attribute applied ,  is it available  to apply VLAN in Access-Reject for ISE  ?

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RFC 2865 RADIUS Section 4.3 Access-Reject says,

If any value of the received Attributes is not acceptable, then

the RADIUS server MUST transmit a packet with the Code field set

to 3 (Access-Reject). It MAY include one or more Reply-Message

Attributes with a text message which the NAS MAY display to the

user.

Because "MAY" but not "MUST", ISE is currently not sending Reply-Message attribute in the responses.

If you have a very good use case, then I hope you may bring it up with our product management teams, either directly (if Cisco internal) or indirectly (if partners or customers).

Hi

I was also about to quote the RFC but you beat me to it.  I guess my gut feeling on this is that if ISE doesn't support this then the GUI should prevent the user from selecting a custom Authorization Profile. That would send a clear message to the user.

How hard could it be to support such a feature?  I don't see it being a detrimental enhancement to ISE.

I am working on a customer requirement where they are planning to use ISE to check the use credentials during a web proxy  authentication (guest users are prompted to enter proxy credentials that are then checked against the active Guest users in ISE).  It's not clear at this stage (but it may become a request in future), but it would be useful to be able to indicate back to the Bluecoat Proxy server WHY a user was rejected.  The Bluecoat doesn't need to interrogate ISE logs to find this out if it could simply parse the Reply-Message. This is how we used to do it on Cisco Prime Access Registrar in the SP world and it worked really well.  If you have intelligent clients that can interpret those status codes then you can create a better user experience, as well as prevent pointless retries because the user/client doesn't know what he is doing wrong. 

Our PM has a user story on it but it has not been scheduled or committed so can't tell when we may have it.