Views
Helpful
Replies

How to learn NAC?

frontier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm a CCNP level engineer and I'd like to learn about NAC. My company tried to send me on a training course but they never had enough students to start one. I was looking for some books but all I've found was back from 2007 which is too old I believe.

So my question is, how can I learn NAC on my own? What version is mostly used nowadays? Do these Cisco Press books from 2007 have any value now?

Many thanks

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would not advise the Cisco Press books no.

Especially since most will talk about NAC framework which doesn't exist anymore.

Sounds stupid to say, but what about reading the configuration guides ? They are pretty well done for NAC.

Nicolas

Ni Nicolas, thanks for your reply. Could you tell me what version should I focus on? In short, are there any major differences within the 4.x line?

Nothing new, only small improvements in each release. But why not reading about 4.9 directly ?

sumirkum
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can also refer the Cisco NAC chalk talk series for a quick learning.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5707/ps8418/ps6128/prod_presentation0900aecd80549168.html

I guess the link is broken now but you can find these presentations on any file sharing website and yes configuration guides are the best.

You can also try "Enforcing host security with clean access" by Jamey Heary. Though the book is old yet its indepth theory is very good for a beginner. Leave the network scanning part and rest everything is almost the same.

So, in my opinion the path should be "Enforcing host security with clean access" --> Chalk talk presentations --> Configuration guides

hth,

Regards,

Sumir