Views
Helpful
Replies

how to remap cisco ise to vmxnet3

jewfcb001
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I install ise .ova file on vcenter after install finished. i remove all interface and go to ok and add the new interface for vmxnet3 but after done .and check ethernet.pcislot and mac address but  I cannot ping the ip of interface . i'm not sure my step correct . Please suggest me .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I see two solutions. 
1) delete 4 adapters and reboot. The ones that remain will be easy to map. How hard can that be?

2) instead of trying to map to VMware enumerated adapters (1,2,3,4,5,6) just align your port groups to the relevant MAC addresses in question. Adapter numbers in VMware mean very little. What’s important is what port groups you have assigned. 

I am a fan of deleting the 4 adapters. It’s always worked for me. 

use the show command to get the MAC address of the gig0 and gig1 and view the MAC addresses in VMWare.  And Bingo!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you choose VMXNET3, you might have to remap the ESXi adapter to synchronize it with the ISE adapter order.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_011.html#ID-1417-00000271

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi 

Thank you for information but i still confuse .

@balaji.bandi 

Now I Map Network Adapter and Interface CIsco ISE MAP below

Adapter 1 = Gi1
Adapter 2 = Gi3
Adapter 3 = Gi5
Adapter 4 = Gi0
Adapter 5 = Gi2
Adapter 6 = Gi6

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber 192
ethernet1.pciSlotNumber 224
ethernet2.pciSlotNumber 256
ethernet3.pciSlotNumber 1184 
ethernet4.pciSlotNumber 1216 
ethernet5.pciSlotNumber 1248 

But Can I remap to 

Adapter 1 = Gi0
Adapter 2 = Gi1
Adapter 3 = Gi2
Adapter 4 = Gi3
Adapter 5 = Gi4
Adapter 6 = Gi5

I see some post below But I still don't understand

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/vmware-vmxnet3-adapter-remapping/td-p/3823131

Hi

How manay ISE adapters do you want? ISE only needs a minimum of one interface to function. 

If you only have one VMXNET3 adapter then the ISE ADE-OS will map that to gig0 on the ISE CLI. You will have to boot up or reboot ISE if you removed the adapters while ISE was running.

I have never had an issue with this.

On ISE, check the MAC address of the GigabitEthernet0 against what VMWare is showing

show interface

You can also inspect the ISE Linux logs 

show logging system dmesg | include eth

@Arne Bier 

How many ISE adapters do you want? I

- 2 interface

i try to map on ISE ADE-OS  with network adapter the detail below.

Adapter 1 = Gi1
Adapter 2 = Gi3
Adapter 3 = Gi5
Adapter 4 = Gi0
Adapter 5 = Gi2
Adapter 6 = Gi6

But I' not sure can i reorder from above to information below or not ?

Adapter 1 = Gi0
Adapter 2 = Gi1
Adapter 3 = Gi2
Adapter 4 = Gi3
Adapter 5 = Gi4
Adapter 6 = Gi5

I see two solutions. 
1) delete 4 adapters and reboot. The ones that remain will be easy to map. How hard can that be?

2) instead of trying to map to VMware enumerated adapters (1,2,3,4,5,6) just align your port groups to the relevant MAC addresses in question. Adapter numbers in VMware mean very little. What’s important is what port groups you have assigned. 

I am a fan of deleting the 4 adapters. It’s always worked for me. 

use the show command to get the MAC address of the gig0 and gig1 and view the MAC addresses in VMWare.  And Bingo!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: