cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to restrict guest making new account after expiration

MALi-786
Level 1
Level 1

I deployed ISE with guest self registration on the Web Portal.

I want the guest (ex: AndroidPhone with Mac address: xx:xx) to be able to get 1 hour of internet access per day.

I know that using Time profile I can limit the guest to 1 hour of access, but how can I give the guest access each day.

Requirements:

--- I want to make this phone create only one account. ( How can I limit his mac address from creating new accounts when his account will expire in one hour)?

--- After 1 day, I want to give the same phone access (I don't mind if it is a new account or the same account as the day before)

How can we make this happen? Otherwise, every time the account expires, the phone will be able to auto-register with a new account.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unclear what the real issue is here and why you are being so restrictive but .... here you go:

You may create a 1_Hour_Guest type as shown below.

I assume you're talking about a HotSpot scenario since I cannot imagine such overhead for anyone taking the time to Register or be Sponsored. However, HotSpot tracks users by MAC address - not be a login username/password - and all modern mobile devices randomize their MAC address which would defeat your 1-hour policy immediately.

This means you would need to do a Self-Registered or Sponsored guest portal.

I don't think 1-hour of Internet access is worth the time of your Sponsoring employee(s) to approve [random] guests for a single hour of access every single day. If it truly is, this is your best option because you ultimately have a human sponsor approving them - or not - for every access request for every hour of every day.  8-/

This leaves you with Self-Registered where you can mitigate random MACs bypassing the HotSpot limitations by using a username/password for logins and use their mobile phone number as the username and SMS them their password. They might carry 2 phones but otherwise that should limit it.  8-)

Finally, if none of this is perfect for you, there is always the custom, API-based guest solution where you could even register them outside of ISE and put them in and out of Allow/Blocklists for enforcement by ISE.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.45.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.17.25 AM.png

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unclear what the real issue is here and why you are being so restrictive but .... here you go:

You may create a 1_Hour_Guest type as shown below.

I assume you're talking about a HotSpot scenario since I cannot imagine such overhead for anyone taking the time to Register or be Sponsored. However, HotSpot tracks users by MAC address - not be a login username/password - and all modern mobile devices randomize their MAC address which would defeat your 1-hour policy immediately.

This means you would need to do a Self-Registered or Sponsored guest portal.

I don't think 1-hour of Internet access is worth the time of your Sponsoring employee(s) to approve [random] guests for a single hour of access every single day. If it truly is, this is your best option because you ultimately have a human sponsor approving them - or not - for every access request for every hour of every day.  8-/

This leaves you with Self-Registered where you can mitigate random MACs bypassing the HotSpot limitations by using a username/password for logins and use their mobile phone number as the username and SMS them their password. They might carry 2 phones but otherwise that should limit it.  8-)

Finally, if none of this is perfect for you, there is always the custom, API-based guest solution where you could even register them outside of ISE and put them in and out of Allow/Blocklists for enforcement by ISE.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.45.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.17.25 AM.png