Views
Helpful
Replies

HP Thunderbolt Dock wired 802.1x ISE

DavidAceti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a laptop without ethernet and connected to wired network through a HP Thunderbolt dock ,with the latest firmware version, and 802.1x authentication.

This laptop authenticate successfully ,it´s appear in Live logs of ISE and I can see the authentication session active in dot1x in the switch, but after 60 seconds ,the logs of the switch show timeout for this interface and the laptop is disconnected of the lan.

I tested modifying the  dot1x timeout tx-period in the switch from 10 to 100 but it only modify the time before the timeout.

Any others laptop or docks works perfectly.  

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

4 Replies 4

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @DavidAceti,

Does dock work fine, if dot1x is disabled? No interface on the switch flapping?

Have you tried enabling debugs on the switch, to see what is going on (is switch triggering reauthentication, does port flap, does PC respond to dot1x requests)?

BR,

Milos

DavidAceti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Milos_Jovanovic ,

If dot1x is disabled ,all works fine, no interface flapping, nothing at all. In fact, the company is working without dot1x with no problem.

I tried to debug the switch and nothing about authentication, flapping. And the switch is answering correctly to dot1x requests.

Thanks for your ideas

KR

David

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @DavidAceti,

Do you see in switch debug logs that re-authentication is triggered, and dock is not replying back?

Based on the symptoms described, I would expect to see something in the logs, at the time of the issue, which should point you in further troubleshooting. E.g. something like - situation is normal, no logs, everything works fine; suddenly, my dock stops working, and in logs there are some messages indicating that there was a change (from switch standpoint), asking dock to reauthenticate again, but no response from dock, and switch places port in the unauthorized state.

BR,

Milos

Hi @Milos_Jovanovic ,

It´s strange because dock is not actuating as individual ethernet card ,it´s an aggregation to the Win10, in fact , the OS show the dock ethernet card as own.

I attached the logs with the debug active.

thanks

KR

David