Views
Helpful
Replies

Investigating the Registration Time and Method of an Endpoint

fdharmawan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

On ISE, when you navigate to Context Visibility -> Endpoints, the page will show you the MAC addresses of the device. Can we know when is the device registered and how it is registered?

So I have this WiFi SSID that if you want to connect to it, you should provide Active Directory credential or using the local accounts that are managed on ISE. But, somehow I saw devices with no entry on Portal User column. I just want to know whether it was manually added and/or when the entry added into ISE. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On ISE, when you navigate to Context Visibility -> Endpoints, the page will show you the MAC addresses of the device. Can we know when is the device registered and how it is registered?

-If you go to Context Visibility->Endpoints: click a unique endpoint MAC, and go to Attributes;  You will be able to see a lot more device info to include location, how they were profiled, AD groups, OS info, etc. and much more. 

I just want to know whether it was manually added and/or when the entry added into ISE. Thanks.

-Typically in my experience when manually adding MACs admins will statically assign them as they add them to group assignments (can be done via APIs or ISE UI).  If this is the case then under context visibility attributes you will see under 'General Attributes' Static Group Assignment set to true (manual add identifier).  If set to false this typically means the device was profiled and added to group via ISE magic.  However, note that it is possible to manually add a MAC and not statically assign them to a profile or group.  At that point the group and profile are left alone and set to Unknown.

HTH!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

-If you go to Context Visibility->Endpoints: click a unique endpoint MAC, and go to Attributes;  You will be able to see a lot more device info to include location, how they were profiled, AD groups, OS info, etc. and much more. 

I just want to know whether it was manually added and/or when the entry added into ISE. Thanks.

-Typically in my experience when manually adding MACs admins will statically assign them as they add them to group assignments (can be done via APIs or ISE UI).  If this is the case then under context visibility attributes you will see under 'General Attributes' Static Group Assignment set to true (manual add identifier).  If set to false this typically means the device was profiled and added to group via ISE magic.  However, note that it is possible to manually add a MAC and not statically assign them to a profile or group.  At that point the group and profile are left alone and set to Unknown.

HTH!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I can see that there is a RegistrationTimeStamp field on the MAC address details. But I could not see the field on some of the other devices. Recently I just upgraded the ISE version from 2.3 to 2.7. Could it be the cause for the missing field? Like some of the devices were registered when the ISE was 2.3 and some of them were on 2.7.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: