cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPhone and Android connections via EAP-TLS

s1nsp4wn
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to the kind folks here, I've successfully configured ISE integration with my Cisco WLC to use EAP-TLS as an authentication method for iPhone and Anroid phones, but I have two problems I've yet to see an answer for in Apple and Google forums. Hoping someone has tried EAP-TLS with mobile phones here in prod:

1 - How do I get the client cert that is already installed on my iPhone to be a choice for 'identity' when I try signing on to the SSID? The cert came from the same CA as ISE and is in my Profile and Device Management store, but doesn't appear as a choice when I try signing on to that SSID upon hitting the controller.
2 - For the Android, I'm assuming the 'CA Certificate' means server-side certificate? For user certificate there's 'Please Select' but I think it's asking for manual input. What is needed here?

Anybody got any experience or links they can lend?

Thanks!

ISE 2.4
Cisco 55xx WLC
iPhone IOS 12.3.1
Android Pixel 2 PQ Build

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Point 1 : Apple Configurator 2 lets you configure an EAP-TLS profile with an identity certificate.
Point 2 : CA certificate is your server's certificate issuer's certificate and not the server certificate itself. If its a self signed certificate on the server then both are the same. For user certificate, one will have to choose a cert from existing identity certificates. This i believe is a one time thing for that SSID.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Surendra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Point 1 : Apple Configurator 2 lets you configure an EAP-TLS profile with an identity certificate.
Point 2 : CA certificate is your server's certificate issuer's certificate and not the server certificate itself. If its a self signed certificate on the server then both are the same. For user certificate, one will have to choose a cert from existing identity certificates. This i believe is a one time thing for that SSID.

I actually got somewhere on this earlier.  I already had what I needed trusted, but the problem was iPHone only accepts pfx or p12.  Once I changed format that issue was solved.  I still haven't gotten around to Android yet.  My current problem is that my client cert isn't accepted and is referred to as 'unsupported'.   I did some digging around and found out that 'Key Usage' on the client cert must say either Client Authentication or have all usages enabled.  I'll ask my sysadmin to push a cert out to me from the same CA ISE uses to see if that works.

Hi 

for the certificate to be pushed on Android  the latter must request for it 1st. I wonder how u (or ur sysadmin) made it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: