cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.2 VM Dedicated Resources

jarosner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In past ISE documentation for installing ISE on a virtual machine there was always a note stating, "It is highly recommended that VM resources be dedicated and not shared or oversubscribed across multiple VMs. Deploying Cisco ISE virtual appliances using the OVF templates will ensure that adequate resources are assigned to each VM.".

In ISE 2.2 there is no note in the documentation stating it is highly recommended that VM resources be dedicated.  Does this recommendation still stand?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I see that original wording in Install Guide was changed.  The end goal is to ensure customers deploy ISE in a manner that does not lead to failure of this critical service.  However, we do acknowledge that some customers have very experienced staff that maintain their virtual server deployments.  As covered in BRKSEC-3699 (ciscolive.com), I still note that it is possible to deploy without reservations, but doing so is at customer risk.  In other words, if call TAC for issue that is not related to resource utilization, they should not make an issue that you have not enabled reservations, for example.  However, if run into any issue that may be related to resource utilization, it is perfectly in TAC's right to call this out and request that the reservations or other minimum requirements be met before attempting to troubleshoot other aspects of issue.  I suspect that concerns over over-subscription and under-resourcing led someone to request removal of the "strong recommendation".  Many of our TAC issues are rooted in customers that deploy with less than required resources, or attempted to over-subscribe resources with multiple VMs.

/Craig

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes! You’re working with a critical piece of your network and need to dedicate resources so its always avialable

I see that original wording in Install Guide was changed.  The end goal is to ensure customers deploy ISE in a manner that does not lead to failure of this critical service.  However, we do acknowledge that some customers have very experienced staff that maintain their virtual server deployments.  As covered in BRKSEC-3699 (ciscolive.com), I still note that it is possible to deploy without reservations, but doing so is at customer risk.  In other words, if call TAC for issue that is not related to resource utilization, they should not make an issue that you have not enabled reservations, for example.  However, if run into any issue that may be related to resource utilization, it is perfectly in TAC's right to call this out and request that the reservations or other minimum requirements be met before attempting to troubleshoot other aspects of issue.  I suspect that concerns over over-subscription and under-resourcing led someone to request removal of the "strong recommendation".  Many of our TAC issues are rooted in customers that deploy with less than required resources, or attempted to over-subscribe resources with multiple VMs.

/Craig