Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 and vMotion support - real world feedback

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi

In a recent posting on this subject of vMotion of ISE nodes, Craig Hyps suggested to not vMotion even though it is supported.  He doesn't say what the problem is, or which versions of ISE are affected.

I suspect that we're running into an issue because our MnT nodes are dying on us and we effectively have no LiveLogs and our dashboards are completely dead.  The TAC have identified a Java process (surprise surprise) running at 99% CPU that is killing the box.  They say it has to do with too many TACACS events.  We have 4000 devices.  And not much going on in terms of TACACS. 

But my question to the forum members is: If you happen to have ISE 2.4, do you guys have DRS enabled to allow vMotion of running VM's?  And if so, how often do the VM's get vMotion'd?  Are you experiencing gradual degradation of your MnT nodes?

Our PANs and PSN's seem unaffected.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paul
Level 10
Level 10

Arne,

I can't say for sure if on my many installs the customers are vMotioning the ISE servers around often.  For me the only time I see ISE lock-ups is when snapshots are being used. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

paul
Level 10
Level 10

Arne,

I can't say for sure if on my many installs the customers are vMotioning the ISE servers around often.  For me the only time I see ISE lock-ups is when snapshots are being used. 

Brian Taylor
Level 1
Level 1

TAC says 100% do not do snapshot or vmotion ever while box is running.