Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 Base License Sessions Exceeded Database error

derobbacher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ISE experts,

since several weeks I'm struggling now with the new Cisco licensing model on ISE instead of focusing on the real important

technology stuff, wich i did before using Cisco ACS.

Here is the real Cisco customer story that I can tell from our new redundant ISE Systems running on 2.4 patch 5.

Some weeks ago I noticed an incredible increase in the base license usage which has nothing to do with

the real WLAN world outside in this big bavarian Hospital.

The Base License counter increased from around 2500 licenses used to nearly 15.000 within two weeks:

ISE Base license problem.JPG

Now the machine is warning every day like a highwayman to contact Cisco sales to order more licenses for WLAN users I do not have in reality.

ISE Base license warning.JPG

But I can truly say, that we only have around 2500 users per day and payed money for 4000.

Unfortunately Cisco is even ignoring the Xmas-period and is threatening to shut down ISE functions finally on 29.12. for me.

Would an upgrade to Patch-Level 10 reiintialize the license-database ?

It looks like I'm even not able to have a look into the license database itself to proof my assumption.

Is there a hidden or official way to get the dirt out of this damned **bleep** of license-sw build by Cisco in the ISE?

Gentlemen, how can we solve this problem quickly?

I need to get back to real work again.

Kind regards from Frankonia

Wini

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's possible that your issue will be fixed in patch 10. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea looking at getting the deployment patched. This is a possible bug fixed in p10 but I'm not sure if it was base + plus, or only plus impacting.
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvp77941

You can also possibly narrow down if the issue is with a single mnt node or both via the API. Edit this with your node IP, enter it in to your browser, log in, and it will give you current usage.
https://<ISE MNT node ip>/admin/API/mnt/Session/License/LicenseCountsFromSessionDB
<licenseSessionDBCount>
<base>35243</base>
<intermediate>7504</intermediate>
<premium>1013</premium>
</licenseSessionDBCount>

Prior to reloading the MNTs/nodes, you could try running option 1 under the "application configure ise" cli tool. This does require a restart of the application server to complete. If one of the MNTs reports normal expected license counts from the API, you could run it on the one displaying incorrect data first.
ise01/admin# appl configure ise
Selection configuration option
[1]Reset M&T Session Database

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Just restart the ISE then it will probably return to the real numbers.

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's possible that your issue will be fixed in patch 10. It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea looking at getting the deployment patched. This is a possible bug fixed in p10 but I'm not sure if it was base + plus, or only plus impacting.
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvp77941

You can also possibly narrow down if the issue is with a single mnt node or both via the API. Edit this with your node IP, enter it in to your browser, log in, and it will give you current usage.
https://<ISE MNT node ip>/admin/API/mnt/Session/License/LicenseCountsFromSessionDB
<licenseSessionDBCount>
<base>35243</base>
<intermediate>7504</intermediate>
<premium>1013</premium>
</licenseSessionDBCount>

Prior to reloading the MNTs/nodes, you could try running option 1 under the "application configure ise" cli tool. This does require a restart of the application server to complete. If one of the MNTs reports normal expected license counts from the API, you could run it on the one displaying incorrect data first.

Dear,

Thanks for your help.

How can I find why the ISE base license consume.

I have the same problem. I try to use profiling and after that my base license increase daily.

The Ise showed license maximum 1600 per day. but after it it grows to 2500 and after 5 days to 5200.

I use the bellow curl command to reset stale sessions:

curl -k -X DELETE https://username:password@<mntnode>/admin/API/mnt/Session/Delete/All

it was good but now it again grows to 2600

I use your recommendation (appl configure ise
[1]Reset M&T Session Database)

on both cisco ise master mnt and backup mnt at same time.

now in ISE license tab it show 2600 base license consume but in URL it shows:

<licenseSessionDBCount>
<base>0</base>
<intermediate>0</intermediate>
<premium>0</premium>
</licenseSessionDBCount>

How can I find why ISE consume base license.

Cisco ISE use base licenses for what ???

Is there anywhere to find these, or make a report???

Best Regards

Seems like the bug is still present, running 2.4 Patch11.

Hi @rene_braun,

please take a look at Cisco ISE Release Notes 2.4, there are some resolved caveats on P12 and P14 related to License.

Hope this helps !!!

Thank you, will check it and update.

It was a smart license issue. Could free up around 20k licenses with DB-reset but still 40 left. TAC had to delete them. Then deregster and reregister ISE to SmartLicensing.

[From Damien Miller]

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: