cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 Large License Alert

bricrock
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Disclaimer: I've seen a few posts on this but nothing conclusive or that seems to address this specific issue.

A customer has been running ISE for many years and initially deployed the "Large" OVA (SNS-3595 equivalent).  No resource allocations were modified post-installation.  After upgrading to ISE 2.4, the customer shows to be out of compliance and needs the "Large" license despite the fact that the VMs are 8 vCPU and 64 GB of RAM. 

Interestingly, one VM was built new from the 2.4 "Large" OVA and it doesn't show the error/problem.  They may rebuild each VM using this OVA, but it that process is a huge pain just to get around this error.

Has anyone seen anything specific to upgraded VM's vs. new and 2.4 Large license warnings?

Thank you,

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deffinitely have them confirm vCPU then.  If a 2.4 3595 ova is deplyoed today, then it will have 16 vcpu, but if they upgraded a prior ova then it's likely that the cpu count is off. They will have to power the VM's down to adjust the count.  

You can check this within ISE from the reporting portal. This is an example of a 2.4 VM with only 8 vcpu, UCS_Large which is wrong. 
profile.JPG

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
If the VM's are in fact 8 vcpu, then they are likely showing up as UCS_Large rather than 3595's, 2.4 expects to see 16 cores / vcpu for a 3595 and 12 for a 3515. The pre 2.4 3595 OVA's need the CPU count to be adjusted for 2.4.

There is also this licensing threshold/sizing bug fixed in patch 4.
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk09597

Thanks, Damien.  I saw that bug and shared with the customer but it didn't seem to fit (especially since he's already patched to 4).  I'll check again on the vCPU sockets vs cores and hyper-threading but since the VM's were initially deployed from Cisco OVA's I figured those details would be covered. 

Per my comment about upgraded nodes vs newly-built nodes, I'm suspecting some other bug might be at play.

I'll keep digging.  Thank you.

Deffinitely have them confirm vCPU then.  If a 2.4 3595 ova is deplyoed today, then it will have 16 vcpu, but if they upgraded a prior ova then it's likely that the cpu count is off. They will have to power the VM's down to adjust the count.  

You can check this within ISE from the reporting portal. This is an example of a 2.4 VM with only 8 vcpu, UCS_Large which is wrong. 
profile.JPG

In case of smart licensing, customers might continue seeing Out Of Compliance (OOC) messages if the deployment was OOC for 45 days in the past out of the last 60 days. The messages will go away afterwards.

CSCvk59357