Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 or 2.6 mixed appliances in deployment

Michael_K
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question if I can mix ISE appliances in a deployment?
For example, would it be possible to mix
2x SNS-3655 to be used as PAN/MnT
and
4x SNS-3615 as PSN

Would that work?

And one more question. Is it possible to upgrade the SNS-3615 with a second hard disk for a Raid 1?

Best regards, 
Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Keep in mind that your upper scaling limit is determined by the hybrid 3655 PAN/MNT nodes. You can support 25k active endpoints in this case, even though the 3615's have a combined capacity of 40k.

Changing the hardware config of a SNS appliance is not supported, but there is one common change that we make in the field. It is very common for 3515/3615 purchases to include a second c220 power supply. I've never had an issue with this, but from an RMA perspective, if you ship the box back with your second PSU, you will get a new box with only one PSU. You need to remove the PSU before you ship an appliance back during a RMA.

Adding RAID to the SNS 3615 is not a field supported change, but there is nothing stopping you from adding disks. At the end of the day, a SNS is still a C220M5 server. If you added a Cisco 12G SAS Modular RAID Controller like found in the 3655/3695, and three more 10k 600 GB SAS disks, it would certainly work. If one was to do this, then matching the same hardware as the 3655/3695 would be ideal since the OS would be guaranteed to work from a driver level.

Big warning here, it has not been tested, TAC doesn't have to support it if they don't want, and you may have to remove all your hardware if it is called in to question. I wouldn't recommend going down that path of adding RAID to a 3615.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nidhi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

regarding your first query, yes it is possible to mix the appliances in a deployment. 

for your second query, it is not recommended to add another hard disk to an appliance. I will also confirm it once and update.

thanks,

Nidhi 

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Keep in mind that your upper scaling limit is determined by the hybrid 3655 PAN/MNT nodes. You can support 25k active endpoints in this case, even though the 3615's have a combined capacity of 40k.

Changing the hardware config of a SNS appliance is not supported, but there is one common change that we make in the field. It is very common for 3515/3615 purchases to include a second c220 power supply. I've never had an issue with this, but from an RMA perspective, if you ship the box back with your second PSU, you will get a new box with only one PSU. You need to remove the PSU before you ship an appliance back during a RMA.

Adding RAID to the SNS 3615 is not a field supported change, but there is nothing stopping you from adding disks. At the end of the day, a SNS is still a C220M5 server. If you added a Cisco 12G SAS Modular RAID Controller like found in the 3655/3695, and three more 10k 600 GB SAS disks, it would certainly work. If one was to do this, then matching the same hardware as the 3655/3695 would be ideal since the OS would be guaranteed to work from a driver level.

Big warning here, it has not been tested, TAC doesn't have to support it if they don't want, and you may have to remove all your hardware if it is called in to question. I wouldn't recommend going down that path of adding RAID to a 3615.

@Damien Miller wrote:

reference the appliance and FRU information here

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/identity-services-engine/datasheet-c78-726524.html

Thanks for the info.

Concerning the hardware i was only interested, I wouldn't "changing" anything on the devices for warranty reasons.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: