Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 3.0 Patch 3 licensing issue

KimStade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm facing an issue in licensing after installing patch 3 on ISE 3.0.

Essential is on status "Released Entitlement" and consumption count is 0 (I have around 13.000 active endpoints).

I have two deployments - one test deployment with 2 vm's and one productive deployment with 2 SNS-3655.

Both deployments are running in to the same problem. Reregistering the licenses and rebooting the deployment has fixed it but the next day both deployments having the same issue again. Device Admin and VM licenses are on status "In Compliance" and showing the correct consumption count.

Has anyone faced the same issue?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

FY13
Level 1
Level 1

Although not listed in the Resolved Caveats in the Release Notes, this issue was fixed for me after applying Patch 4.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I suggest calling TAC for any Licensing issues.

I also have the same problem except that rebooting didn't fix the issue.  The TAC engineer is looking into it but he has not come up with anything so far. 

Hi David,

thanks for your reply. Yes, rebooting fix the issue for a while, but the issue comes back after some time.

I noticed, that my ISE is updating the consumption count correct after some time, and a hour later or so, it is on 0 again.

This is happening once a day.

Please keep us up to date if you are able to get it fixed

alintadimitri
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco ISE Release 3.0 uses Essentials, Advantage, and Premier licenses.

Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) is a security policy management platform that provides secure access to network resources. Cisco ISE allows enterprises to gather real-time contextual information from networks, users, and devices.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-0/release_notes/b_ise_30_rn.html#concept_w31_qqk_wmb

@alintadimitri:  How is your post relevant to my and the OP's issue?

I have a similar opened with Cisco TAC.  It is a bug.  The TAC engineer will file the bug today.

Hey David!

Are there any updates on this issues? Maybe a hotfix or a workaround?

Thanks

It is still being investigated by Cisco.  In the meantime, Cisco TAC informed that if the count is 0, it means that you are NOT using any in your license.  In other words, you have UNLIMITED license, which is a good thing and I am NOT complaining, LOL...

Thanks for your answer Yeah I thought the same, but I was worried about any enforcement due to this bug.

Okay then, we wait...

@KimStade:  Like you I am also afraid of enforcement because the appliance might report incorrect license count and causes other issues

Ok.. So I installed the patch on august 3, so just about a month ago. Since then, my deployment is running without any issues.

I hope it continues to do so.

FY13
Level 1
Level 1

Although not listed in the Resolved Caveats in the Release Notes, this issue was fixed for me after applying Patch 4.

KimStade
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah, it's not listed in the patch notes. But patch 4 also fixes this license bug for me.

This seems to be
CSCvx69628 - System Test : License count is not getting updated in the ISE GUI
https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvz35552

The site says that it is a duplicate of this bug:
'CSCvz35552 - ISE Smart license page not updating "Consumption Count" and shows 0'

This 'original' bug can only be found in Google-cache but has a clearer description of the problem:
Cisco Bug: CSCvz35552 - ISE Smart license page not updating "Consumption Count" and shows 0
Symptom:
ISE 3.0 license page doesn't show the consumption count of each license type despite the fact that sessions are consuming the required license type and this can be verified via clicking on the consumption count value to view current sessions or via API.
Smart license details are updated every 30 minutes, however in this scenario the counters are not updated even after the mentioned time. We also observe that the last update time in the bottom of the smart license page is not getting updated.
Conditions:
ISE 3.0 fresh install or fresh upgrade.
Issue observed first on ISE 3.0 patch 3.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: