cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 3.2 save configuration in CLI

Minnesotakid
Level 1
Level 1

This is sort of silly, but is there not a way in ISE 3.2 to save the configuration of changes made via CLI? 

Example: changing a local user via CLI on 3.2 patch4, I am not presented with a way to "write mem" or "copy run start" to save the configuration. 

The only way I am aware of how to do this is to reload the node and force it to prompt with "Save the current ADE-OS running configuration? (yes/no) [yes] ?"

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I've dug through the configuration guides and nothing stuck out. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Minnesotakid 

You can perform configuration tasks in configuration mode. Configuration changes are saved by default to preserve them during a system reload or power outage.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

View solution in original post

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Ruben Cocheno is correct - ISE 3.2 and later automatically saves the config.

The ISE 3.2 CLI Guide shows the write command (at the bottom) was: Removed from Cisco ISE Release 3.2.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Minnesotakid 

You can perform configuration tasks in configuration mode. Configuration changes are saved by default to preserve them during a system reload or power outage.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Ruben Cocheno is correct - ISE 3.2 and later automatically saves the config.

The ISE 3.2 CLI Guide shows the write command (at the bottom) was: Removed from Cisco ISE Release 3.2.

I noticed on 3.2, p3 that after the halt command the configuration is not saved. Halt command didnt give me the option to save the configuration. I changed the admin password and after the reload there was the old password. Luckily I had the old one stored. So probably som bug.

Hi, 

same Bug here, admin account deleted, new account created (no option to save config since 3.2). I did Halt command and cannot connect to ISE Node with new account created... Lucky i was to store the old admin account and it worked... I can see that the new account configured is still in the running but not working...

Minnesotakid
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help guys - that explains it!

Tomas Bartek
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, it is strange, there is no option to save config in CLI, so you must use "reload" command, which offers you option to save config and then do not continue with reboot as shown here:

ISE-3-2-test/admin#reload
Save the current ADE-OS running configuration? (yes/no) [yes] ? yes
Generating configuration...
Saved the ADE-OS running configuration to startup successfully
Continue with reboot? [y/n] n

Okay, "changes are automatically saved when entered beginning with ISE 3.2."

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwc42741

Thanks.

You mean it should automatically save? 

I'm running ISE 3.3 with patch v2 and yet, the same bug occurs. 

In my case, a client has two ISE instances. They have lost the password for admin user, so I had to reboot using the installation media to recover the password.  As soon as I change the users passwords and reboot it, all chances seems to be lost. Later on today I'll give a try with reload command to check if is it effective on the file to save it.