Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 3.x Licensing CCNA Question

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello all

I have an ISE Licensing CCNA-style question that I am trying to find the answer to. If you feel you're up to the challenge, please have a go ...

Question: The scenario is that the customer purchased ISE 2.x licenses a little while ago and now wishes to build  a modern ISE system. That means ISE 3.0 (gold star).  The Smart Licensing Account contains the necessary VM and TACACS  licenses. As for the endpoint licenses, they had previously purchased:

250 Base (Perpetual - no expiration)

250 Plus (expiration March 2022)

Customer opens a TAC case to get above licenses converted to 250 Advantage.

What will be the end result for this customer?

A) Smart Account transactions: 250 Plus deleted, 250 Advantage added (exp March 2022).  250 Base (perpetual)licenses remain in Smart account for future use.

B) Smart Account transactions: 250 Plus deleted, 250 Advantage added (exp October 2023).  250 Base (perpetual) licenses remain in Smart account for future use.

C) Smart Account transactions: 250 Base deleted, 250 Plus deleted, 250 Advantage added (exp date: March 2022).  Customer must renew all license tiers after March 2022

D) Customer opens a TAC case to revert this conversion, and remains on perpetual licensing model with ISE 2.7 (250 Base) until end of support (likely 5 years from now, extrapolated, based on EOL of ISE 2.6)

Study material: ISE 3.0 Migration Guide

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Arne Bier ,

checking the following picture:

2021 09 07 Licensing Migration.png

2021 08 Few Examples of License Migration.png

250 Base + 250 Plus = 250 Advantage

Hope this helps !!!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Arne Bier I think it's:

E) Customer gives up on Cisco ISE due to licensing having become untenable and instead chooses to go with a competitive product.

In actuality it's none of the above. As I understand it, they would get 250 Essentials term licenses (expiry October 2023) and 250 Advantage (expiry March 2022).

Hi @Arne Bier ,

checking the following picture:

2021 09 07 Licensing Migration.png

2021 08 Few Examples of License Migration.png

250 Base + 250 Plus = 250 Advantage

Hope this helps !!!

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

thanks for the replies so far. I can tell you that the TAC have gone through A, B and C (in that order) - I will send them the picture above and then let them reconsider. I was also of the impression that 250 Advantage will expire March 2022. After which, customer should be entitled to carry on with the 250 Essentials up to Oct 2023. Customer currently doesn't need the Advantage features. But I want their ISE to remain licensed at least a couple of years before they need to consider renewing licensing.