cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE and AppleTV restrictions

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

I am trying to find some documentation on using ISE to restrict access to an AppleTV.

My initial thought is to treat the AppleTV as a netwotk resource and enforce policies that way.

Any input is greatly appreciated

-Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

You can use ISE's Device Profiler to identify the device as an Apple TV, and you can then create an Authorisation Profile based on the AppleTV Endpoint Identity Group, and through that you can return particular VLAN / ACL instructions to your Network Device in order to restrict access.

Apple TV also supports 802.1x, so you could do similar but based on Username as opposed to the Profiler if you don't have the Advanced licenses.

Hope this helps?

Richard

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

You can use ISE's Device Profiler to identify the device as an Apple TV, and you can then create an Authorisation Profile based on the AppleTV Endpoint Identity Group, and through that you can return particular VLAN / ACL instructions to your Network Device in order to restrict access.

Apple TV also supports 802.1x, so you could do similar but based on Username as opposed to the Profiler if you don't have the Advanced licenses.

Hope this helps?

Richard

Richard,

Thanks,  your reply was very helpful. Do you know if ISE will support device self registration?

For example:  A college student brings his/her own AppleTV & wants to hook it up.  The ability to provision for such a device with little or no admin involvement would be great.

Eric

Hey Eric,
To add to Richards great post ... In order to do 802.1X on apple tv you need to push a profile with 802.1X security. You can't manually configure 802.1X on a Apple Tv. Also, i havent tested this, but I was told if the apple tv loses power, it also loses the 802.1X profile.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George, it's not that they lose the Config if they lose power, they lose the time, which is kinda important when you're using PEAP/TLS! :(

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi, it does support self device registration yes... Look up the "my devices" feature.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App