Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE and processing accounting records for data usage reporting purposes

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi

I have a customer (more specifically, a tenant of my ISE Guest Wi-Fi deployment) who wants to have reporting on how much data his Guest users are consuming.

I am aware that the Cisco WLC sends Accounting Start/Interim/Stop to ISE, but ISE only uses that for its licensing processing logic.

• Are there any plans to expand ISE's capabilities to become a Radius accounting data cruncher and usage reporting platform?  e.g. being able to produce data usage reports on individual Guest Portals, and even drill down on top 10 users of those portals within a defined report data range?
  • If not, anyone know of off the shelf products that do this that I could leverage?
  • In general, how do I proxy these accounting records onto a platform that can do that?  I don't see an option in ISE to only proxy accounting records separately.  Cisco WLC's are unable to send parallel accounting stream to multiple radius servers.

thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only reporting that ise does on guest internet is when it receives syslog from  device such as the asa firewall for tracking URLS Visited

chexk out updates slides at Training: Voice of the Architect (VoA)

the attached PPTX for guest and then to the monitoring and reporting section

for  rich reporting you should integrate wsa with pxgrid, other examples are stealthwatch or splunk

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To use the current ISE Reports, the best I could find was the RADIUS Accounting filtered by the GUEST Network IP Scope(s).  This is particularly helpful if using a separate DHCP Scope for the Guest connections to that SSID.

RADIUSAccounting.PNG

Otherwise, the suggestion is to use an external logging server to process these events and create the reports needed.

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only reporting that ise does on guest internet is when it receives syslog from  device such as the asa firewall for tracking URLS Visited

chexk out updates slides at Training: Voice of the Architect (VoA)

the attached PPTX for guest and then to the monitoring and reporting section

for  rich reporting you should integrate wsa with pxgrid, other examples are stealthwatch or splunk

thanks to everyone who has replied with their recommendations.  While they are certainly all interesting in their own right, it doesn't address the requirement of being able to report on the data usage.  It struck me as a very obvious requirement when my customer asked me things like "How much traffic is my Guest portal creating on a weekly/month basis?" - or "How much data did user XYZ upload/download while he was using the Guest portal?".

It's interesting to see the Enterprise vs Service Provider differences between ISE and CPAR.  In CPAR there was a very easy option to siphon off the accounting records into either a .csv file for crunching in Excel or whatever, or, sending the records to an SQL DB, and also proxying accounting records to another radius server.

We're talking about Accounting records here that contain a lot of useful usage data - it would probably not be a major stretch for ISE BU to create an option to allow accounting records to be written to a rolling repository somewhere, even if it's a .csv file format.

Sorry ise is not designed for this and doubt it would ever do this you can ask the PM team but there are many higher priority items

This is not a discussion we would have on the forum

This is up to the network infrastructure and its monitoring and reporting capability tooling to aggregate the different networks and its data reports

Hi Ame,

I do not understand the need to have this in ISE.

Service providers need this for billing so this may be required for tracking.

We are talking about Radius accounting records here. I am not sure if it will carry data usage information about guests even for CPAR.

If you are interested in just accounting you can use following reports in ISE and export it to CSV. You can use Master guest report to track websites users go etc.

You can schedule reports in ISE 2.3 at specific intervals as well

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-3/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_23/b_ise_admin_guide_23_chapter_011100.pdf

Thanks

Krishnan

Hi Krishnan

When you say "We are talking about Radius accounting records here. I am not sure if it will carry data usage information about guests even for CPAR." -   I have provided an example of an accounting record further below so that you can see what I am talking about.

Also to respond to Jason's reply "This is up to the network infrastructure and its monitoring and reporting capability tooling to aggregate the different networks and its data reports". I agree entirely with that - I am not asking ISE to produce me pretty graphs (although that would be nice ).  But I was asking about HOW to get the data into a format that I can feed the data into a tool that can produce the pretty graphs.  So far it seems to me that ISE lacks the basic facility to let me process certain data myself (i.e. the session bytes in/out) - whether it be via file export, or via radius proxy.  There are certainly some very cool reports in ISE and they are very useful - but none of them contain the data usage of the session for data accounting purposes.

My customer is not an ISP, but they want to know about data usage of their services.  

Even the ISE 2.3 Report called "Endpoints and Users > RADIUS Accounting" doesn't contain the data usage.  Why?  It's just another few fields to add to the report ...

Example of an Accounting-Request showing the fields that I am interest in seeing.

Hi,

we are facing the same issue on our side, and migrating from an ACS 5.3, we are unable to decommission it as the client request to have the data usage report for each users.

I do confirm this is only a field existing in the accounting frame that the ISE has to handle for reporting.

For the client, this is a drawback, especially as ACS now suffers multiple vulnerabilities.

Regards

Jerome

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: