cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE certificate renewal

charliey_2000
Level 1
Level 1

It is time again for annual Certificate renewal. Just wanted to see is there a way to generate a CSR and have the new certificate exist without replacing the existing?  Seems like last time it just replaced the certificate once I generated the certificate with the CSR and restarted all the nodes.  I would prefer just to have the certificate waiting and I manually switch it out for the different services.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Yes you can do that - when you bind the cert with the CSR, just don't tick any boxes (like Admin, EAP, etc.) - it will install the cert in the status of "Not used" - you can then edit that cert later, and tick the relevant boxes - that will activate its status.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Yes you can do that - when you bind the cert with the CSR, just don't tick any boxes (like Admin, EAP, etc.) - it will install the cert in the status of "Not used" - you can then edit that cert later, and tick the relevant boxes - that will activate its status.

Seems like last time I tried that but much to my surprise it replaced the existing certificate and restarted all the nodes.  This was  on 2.x so maybe I will see something different on 3.2.

That behaviour still exists in ISE 3.2. There is enhancement in 3.3 that allows you to schedule the restart of the nodes for a later time/date.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-3/release_notes/b_ise_33_RN.html#admin_cert_controlled_app_restart

If you don't use posture and if you don't make creative use of portals the impact is very low, ise restarts application server service only on each node, one at a time.

I've just updated admin certificate on a 15 nodes deployment during business hours and there was no user complains at all.

However doing it during business hours is quite a risk, if something goes wrong you may have troubles on one or more nodes, but in this case I had no choice and with an open tac case ready to be claimed I decided to take the risk and all went fine.