cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE indexing Engine disabled

PacketSpartan
Level 1
Level 1

We have a PSN that's a VM, We've had to replace the SSL cert on it.  After replacing the cert we've tried to test the Server using Dot1x, We discovered the ISE indexing engine is disabled. 

Would this point to an underlining issue with the host server? We did have an issue with the VM not right IO read performance. (see below)

We have tried syncing the device but no luck, what would be the next logical step? reboot and check or deregister?

Error message on ISE  P PAN

xxxxx server average IO read performance directly from disk device is: 164 MB/Sec; which is less than the minimum requirement of 300 MB/Sec. Please update VM hosting to support IO performance requirement

TTboy1988_0-1674513743736.png

CCNA R&S
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I see, after some investigation internally, I could find the following documentation:

"ISE Indexing Engine only runs in the Admin nodes PAN (Primary Admin Node) and SAN (Secondary Admin Node). Since the ISE Indexing Engine involves the Context Visibility from the ISE GUI.

It is expected and normal behavior to see this process disabled on the PSN."

The process will not impact if it is disabled on your standalone PSN, but it is required to be running on the PAN and SAN nodes.

So it will be ok if you leave it like it is right now. 

Let me know if that helped you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dalbanil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello TTbou1988, the Indexing engine service runs on your primary admin node and your secondary admin node, can you clarify if you have dedicated nodes? Or is this PSN part of your PAN and PMNT? Also, did you already try "application stop ise" / "application start ise" ? (In case it is a PPAN or SAN), as the last step, you can also try the following, for resetting CV https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine-23/213610-ise-2-3-rest-sync-context-visibility.html , let me know if that worked.

Hi dalbanil 

We have 1 Appliance that does PAN,PMNT and PSN and secondary appliance for SAN SMNT PSN & 3 PSNs. (We're having this issue on a standalone PSN)
We havent tried application stop ISE & Application start ISE,  as this is the first time i've seen ISE indexing engine as disabled: I will give this a try. 

Your link for resetting is for the PPAN or is there a different process for a PSN

Thanks

CCNA R&S

I see, after some investigation internally, I could find the following documentation:

"ISE Indexing Engine only runs in the Admin nodes PAN (Primary Admin Node) and SAN (Secondary Admin Node). Since the ISE Indexing Engine involves the Context Visibility from the ISE GUI.

It is expected and normal behavior to see this process disabled on the PSN."

The process will not impact if it is disabled on your standalone PSN, but it is required to be running on the PAN and SAN nodes.

So it will be ok if you leave it like it is right now. 

Let me know if that helped you.

PacketSpartan
Level 1
Level 1

Cheers, This makes sense. I've checked our other PSNs as well and its disabled.  I couldn't find much info when i googled this, thus the community post. 

Cheers 

CCNA R&S
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: